In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bertolucci seamlessly intercuts footage from the original and, in doing so, achieves a beautiful synthesis of life imitating art.
- The chase scene that follows is intercut with brief vignettes showing the bank officials glorying in the publicity the robbery has created.
- Preacher Man intercuts scenes set inside the Preacher's unholy church with images of a cowboy on horseback.
- In Henry V, the warlike speeches are also intercut with reaction shots.
- These scenes of reading the letter are intercut with shots of her mother, in a reversal of the primal scene, attempting to eavesdrop on the conversation.
- The same news director had an idea for a photo essay that would intercut shots of women in beauty salons and dogs at the groomer.
- This story is intercut with scenes from Harry's books, which are relevant to the circumstances at hand.
- Their dialogue is intercut with shots of their initial meeting when Jeffrey knocks Susan off her bicycle while crossing the street.
- Chatty, witty scenes are intercut with quotes from Voltaire, but the film also includes other cheeky references to that comic philosopher embedded in the plot.
- The play reflects that, intercutting scenes of one girl's pregnancy with the research of two 10-year-olds.
- Tony's adventures are intercut with scenes of Brenda's increasing desperation as she is left with no money and a disinterested lover.
- Director Byrum attempted to misdirect the censors by intercutting the same scenes shot in color with those in black-and-white as they would appear in the final print.
- These scenes are intercut not only with the four short films that unfold within this structure but also with media coverage of them on TV and radio shows.
- In the end, despite intercutting various shots of the ‘special rope’ that was used on the girl, the denouement seems somewhat flat and predictable.
- Every nude scene is intercut with shots of a slobbering, googly-eyed principal and his equally expectant sidekick.
- Part of Sarne's method in telling his story was to quickly intercut archival film footage from the 20th Century Fox movie library.
- His editing is edgy, often favoring jump cuts and non-chronological constructions of scenes, for example intercutting glimpses of a fight with the conversation that preceded it.
- The pain of losing love unites Yu with a young woman in the present day, as footage from one of Yu's silent, black-and-white films is intercut with scenes of a woman alone in her apartment.
- In this regard, it is no surprise that the narrative of Ben's sexual affair with Mrs. Robinson is intercut with scenes featuring him either lounging in or submerged in the waters of the pool.
- It's perhaps inevitable that her screen time would be intercut with film clips, but I still resented the distraction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.