- One example of an antiviral compound is interferon which is a chemical produced by the body in response to viral infection.
- It helps the body produce more interferon to defend itself from viruses and other harmful matter.
- Your body naturally produces interferon as a response to viral infections.
- Other forms of immunotherapy, such as interferon, are being tested in clinical trials.
- If this fails, interferons block the virus from forming particles which can be released and infect other neurons.