In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in the EU)intergubernamentalthe Intergovernmental Conference/Council — la Conferencia Intergubernamental feminine
- The European Council was formally recognized as the most important intergovernmental body of the European Community.
- To start, gay-related policy has an intergovernmental dimension that cannot be ignored.
- What is the source of the rules or standards under which governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental organizations evaluate and criticize a state?
- The question of the relationship between the intergovernmental and supranational features of the Council is a theme that runs through this chapter.
- As such, the powers of member states and the intergovernmental dimension of the European Union have been privileged in the field of CFSP.
- A new intergovernmental conference could cut out the most controversial parts, making it more palatable to British tastes.
- When regional or global intergovernmental organizations become the focus for policy-making, then NGOs seek to influence the proceedings.
- The task should be referred to an intergovernmental committee of the nation states, and the same structure should be available for defence, foreign and home affairs.
- More recently, the counterattack of the European Council and the intergovernmental machinery has put this story in question.
- This process is to culminate in another intergovernmental conference in 2004, leading to yet another treaty.
- We turn next to federal and state budget trends to assess the potential for added intergovernmental transfers to local governments.
- A number of intergovernmental conventions had been agreed; others were awaiting ratification or under negotiation.
- For the next two decades the EEC was de facto intergovernmental and advances to supranationality were blocked.
- Finally, executive federalism has been the dominant mode of intergovernmental policy-making.
- These are decided on an intergovernmental basis, so that in these areas the European Court has no jurisdiction and the Commission's role is limited.
- This intergovernmental perspective views federalism as a public administration process.
- This is where the intergovernmental perspective fails to grasp reality.
- Finally, the intergovernmental method finds member governments monopolizing both power to determine policy and power to decide how to organize cooperation.
- He talked about the forthcoming European intergovernmental conference and the possibility that it would require a referendum.
- Yet no intergovernmental consensus for radical change exists.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.