In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(between groups)matrimonio mixto masculine
- By 1900, intermarriages with other nationalities were more common, most of them occurring with Germans, but also with Austrians, Hungarians, and Poles.
- There has been a good deal of intermarriage, especially among Sunni Muslims with different ethnic backgrounds.
- There was an era, within the memory of many people reading these words, when intermarriage between races was illegal in many states.
- Are you for or against intermarriage between people of different communities?
- The demography of the Jewish community is changing - the percentage of intermarriages is going up.
- None of the intermarriages that took place in the early restoration could have occurred if the priests were firmly in control.
- Many never learned to speak English at all, and there was little intermarriage with other immigrant groups.
- Forced conversions have been reported, as well as forced divorces in Muslim-Christian intermarriages.
- This was evidenced in their culture, language and intermarriages that were so common within the area.
- That has led to intermarriages, thereby making it difficult to identify who is a Zambian and who is not.
- More than two-thirds of Cape Verdean population ancestry is Creole, descended from the intermarriages between the Portuguese settlers and black Africans.
- The blending and intermarriage of races for over 500 years has made Bolivia a heterogeneous society.
- There was little if any intermarriage and little intermating between the two groups.
- This option reflects changes in the nation's diversity as a result of immigration and intermarriage among different racial groups.
- There are no ethnic or religious restrictions, and intermarriage in Thailand is quite common, especially between Thai and Chinese, and Thai and Westerners.
- In addition, intermarriage between immigrant males and Mexican American women has encouraged the maintenance of Spanish.
- There have been centuries of intermarriage between the different groups, so there are no longer any ‘pure’ ethnic groups in China.
- These networks were further cemented by intermarriages and mutual help alliances.
- The intermarriages between the Hui and Han were further reinforced by the imperial edict in the Ming Dynasty.
- Ethnic intermarriage became fairly common in Soviet times, and most people have at least one ancestor of a different nationality.
2(within group)matrimonio endogámico masculine
- Firstly, it is said that when my parents met their families were neighbours and related by intermarriage.
- It's not the intermarriages per se that cause defects.
- However, contributing to more distinct group of health problems is the growing trend of marriage between close relatives or what Vickie calls intermarriage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.