nounPlural intermezzos, Plural intermezzi
- The middle movements, intermezzos both, are characterised by mellow string and woodwind playing.
- The intermezzo from his frivolous opera Hary Janos is considered one of his most entertaining scores.
- After about 1750 the intermezzo evolved further into opera buffa.
- It's funny, having known the chorus and the intermezzo well for years, I realised I only properly listened to the whole opera in order to write this blog entry.
- It is worth remembering that intermezzos were never really supposed to contain the musical highlights of an evening.