In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(machinations)intriga femininecabildeo masculinea master of intrigue — un maestro de la intriga
- It was, according to Balzac, a world in which talent counted for nothing, and bribery, intrigue and unscrupulousness were the key factors in success.
- A tale of murder, bribery, betrayal and intrigue follows as the plot gathers pace and Solomon races to towards the finish line.
- With its formulaic plot of intrigue and power struggles, the current drama at Scottish Screen has been a source of much fascination for the Scottish press.
- A hint of conspiracy and intrigue permeates the piece.
- At the same time American capitalism carried out its own ambitious counterrevolutionary intrigue, through the newly formed CIA as well as other agencies.
- There's no political intrigue, no plot twists and a near-total lack of cutscenes.
- Hamlet is a political play rife with plotting, intrigue and spying.
- I hated this room, the atmosphere of backstabbing intrigue and devious plots and politics that hung overhead like a forthcoming tempest.
- He also discovers a nest of intrigue, decadence and a heathen willingness to murder people very casually if they get in your way.
- It's a tale of intrigue, dark secrets, and double crosses.
- In a country ruled largely by man, not law, succession creates rare opportunities for political intrigue and policy change.
- The play of politics, with its betrayal and intrigue and calculation and conspiracy, holds the common persons in thrall…
- Four members of the family are remembered for their scheming and intrigue, including murder by poison.
- American football, on the other hand, is a game of intrigue, strategies and intellect.
- This is a story of intrigue, conspiracy, heroism and romance - and a good deal of it true.
- The simmering tension between them is played out against the sweep of world events as Shanghai fears a Japanese attack and the city becomes a hotbed of political intrigue, secrets and desperation.
- And it was one commingle of secrets, codes and intrigue that I came across, as I flipped pages upon pages of this wonderfully-written work.
- The change of premier was generally free of the apparent conspiratorial intrigue of December 1916.
- He needed somebody to trust in this morass of intrigue and double meaning that was called the royal court.
- It is a stirring, brutal tale of conspiracy and intrigue, treachery and dissent, the overthrow of a hapless leader named Duncan.
2(flirtation, love affair)aventura feminine
- But while this is a satisfying central plot, the story is just as much about the accident-prone romances and intrigues of the rest of this likeable family.
- If you're one of the beautiful elite, summer is a fizzy whirl of suitors and intrigues and liaisons.
- Romances and intrigues shouldn't matter to anyone but myself and those involved.
- Personal enmity, property disputes, love intrigues, dowry and gain are the major reasons for murdering women.
- With a rich history, including periods as a Greek and Roman colony, as well as the internal intrigues of ruling kings and their concubines, Istanbul nowadays is a colorful, eclectic melting pot of cultures.
- Here the usual Rossini mix of disguises and love intrigues is given added complexity by the fact that there are no fewer than three women in love with the principal character.
- The blather wears thin, as do the endless romantic intrigues.
- The normally staid boardrooms of the country's big car makers have been rocked by allegations of bribery and sexual intrigue.
1intrigarwe were intrigued to know how he had done it — teníamos gran curiosidad por saber cómo lo había hecho
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.