In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Its dark brooding tone matching the introspective loneliness of its hero makes it the antithesis of its 1944 predecessor.
- The museum urges us to be introspective, to consider how we would confront moral dilemmas or how we would feel if our friends and families were being systematically murdered.
- This, their second album, takes a much more thoughtful and introspective direction than their previous, more rocky music.
- But if this introspective process ensures companies are not overvalued in the market, then it perhaps creates better stability in the long term.
- The result is a series of distant, icy meditations on life and living; impossibly remote and unhealthily introspective.
- She was very introspective and pensive, and I always had the feeling that her awareness was somehow contained in mine.
- Then there's Tommy, a thoughtful, introspective type, approaching 30.
- They've dispensed with the catchy choruses and the larking around, replacing them with introspective musings.
- Kate can turn Pete into a mumbling, introspective bore
- Every three weeks I leave it until the last minute, can find sod all to write about, and end up with something introspective to the point of self-indulgent.
- He's very introspective and reflective, and he's caught up in the problems of existence in a non-religious world.
- Everything was more subtle and introspective.
- It wasn't easy, she admits, and she has not arranged them chronologically, but rather to establish an introspective and confessional storyline.
- The question remains whether the new parliament will act as a springboard for fresh ideas or if it will cause the country to narrow its view, becoming too introspective for its own good.
- A remarkably introspective thought, given the outward-facing nature of previous steps of unpacking.
- Are we more introspective or more extroverted in wanting to share our thoughts?
- Have you recently done a bit more self-analysis, introspective digging around?
- I mean comic books don't promote introspective contemplation and societal theory, do they?
- Then some of them are very contemplative and introspective.
- Stuff has been happening, but it's all kind of introspective, sad stuff that isn't that easy to write, even if I did have any intention of splashing it all over the web.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.