In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1enfermo masculineenferma feminine(food/diet) para enfermosinvalid car — coche para discapacitado
- my invalid mother — mi madre enferma
1(assumption/conclusion) inválido(application/contract/will) inválido(contract/application/will) no válidoinvalid in law — sin validez legal
- If it is the latter then the protests are invalid simply because pen to paper would restore the balance.
- But the fact that such arguments are deductively invalid does not mean that they are not sometimes inductively strong.
- He produced an invalid passport and failed to inform the officer that it was not valid.
- He glared at him daring him to pursue this as an invalid argument.
- Cases 635, the Court held invalid the second marriage of a Muslim when the first marriage had not been dissolved, although pursuant to Islamic law the second marriage was valid.
- If an argument is invalid, there is no deduction for it in the system.
- To the extent that Part 14 of the regulations falls within the zone of exclusive federal legislative power, the State regulation must be invalid.
- For the second time in recent US history, voters have had their ballot papers discarded as invalid.
- Or maybe they just know enough thermodynamics to understand why Sewell's arguments are totally invalid.
- He claimed the proceedings were a sequel to the 1991 raid in which his home had also been ransacked but which had been illegal as an invalid warrant had been used.
- Therefore the threats will be justified unless the patents are invalid.
- He is being held on suspicion of traveling with an invalid passport, but Bosnitch said Fischer was never notified by the U.S. government that his passport was revoked.
- Any philosopher can tell you this is an invalid argument.
- Thus, recourse to tradition in abstract, speculative argument is invalid.
- So the knowledge argument is invalid because it involves a fallacy of equivocation: ‘know’ means something different in the two premises.
- The argument is manifestly invalid as there is no way that can be derived from (a).
- Eighty years after Wallace's book, our universe could not be more radically different, yet human hope continues to impose the same invalid argument upon it.
- The Tralee-based judge was acquitted of being in possession of child pornography earlier this year after the trial judge ruled that a search warrant was invalid.
- This argument for fatalism does not commit the same fallacy (that is, use the same invalid argument) as the first one that I gave.
- This time, with the women there, the soldiers let him through, but he was afraid to go with the invalid permit.
- Traffic officials would conduct random roadblocks, cracking down on offences such as vehicle overloading, drunken driving and invalid licences.
- Keynes also makes an invalid argument, claiming that a fall in the nominal wage rate may not decrease the real wage rate but would rather increase the rate of unemployment.
- This would have affected his decision to issue the warrant and results in a finding that the warrant was invalid and should not have been issued.
- Mr Shipley's argument is that the defendants entered into the settlement on the basis that the patents were invalid.
- They just gave up half a billion for invalid patents on an obvious idea, after the company that might not own those patents had to pay off another company to license them.
- Mills says that this argument is invalid, because a physical event can have features not explained by the event which is its sufficient cause.
- He's been detained in Japan since mid-July, when he was nabbed for traveling with an invalid passport.
- Not that the arguments are invalid; but they cannot prove the conclusion, if they cannot prove it except to someone who already accepts it.
- Looking at the Margo Lake warrant, any information as to the location of the vehicle by monitoring the tracking device should be excised as having been obtained by an invalid warrant.
- Improper induction and therefore invalid argument, cried a geeky voice in Jocelyn's head.
- In simple words this means they do not have licences at all because an invalid document is not a licence to drive.
- We believe the Rambus patents are invalid, not infringed and unenforceable.
- But this objection is invalid because there is a universal test of true knowledge, and this test
- No need to be surprised - a theory is invalid if shown to be so beyond reasonable doubt.
- Second, we can try to show that the conclusion does not follow from the premises, and thus the argument is invalid, proving nothing.
- Chanyut and Santsak also said the students disqualified as being invalid an unusually high number of ballots that had been marked for the Chart Thai candidate.
- This argument is invalid, and all invalid arguments are unsound.
- But in truth, they are not purporting to tell the American public, say, that one of their patents is invalid or that the scope of its claims is not what it might appear to be.
- He's absolutely right that these arrest warrants and these search warrants were invalid.
- This is not to say that a scientifically unproven theory is invalid.
- Every year, Maria goes out to Lourdes to help invalids on the Limerick pilgrimage.
- A benefit of living in a one-stoplight town is that the county clerk makes house calls, delivering ballots to invalids.
- A sum of over 800 was raised, which means that the committee will be able to send two invalids from the parish on the diocesan pilgrimage in May.
- Safe journey to all our invalids, helpers and pilgrims from the parish who travelled on Sunday to participate in the Annual Armagh Pilgrimage to Lourdes.
- The dates for this year's Lourdes pilgrimage are June 21-26 and the cost is €480 for invalids and €580 for all others.
- She was an excellent woman who loved her family and cared for her parents who were both invalids.
- There are places for both invalids and pilgrims.
- Looking after all the invalids was a team of doctors, nurses and other helpers.
- Their white colour and delicate texture have conspired to give them a reputation as a food for invalids or convalescents.
- He made many firm friends during that time and was tireless an unselfish in his commitment to the invalids and lending assistance to all who sought his help and advice.
- It did not make any mention of the fact that many of the people who have come off the unemployment benefit have casually moved over to the invalids benefit or the sickness benefit.
- It caters for invalids as well as hedonists, its waters famed for their efficacy with eye and bladder problems, and the menu is a gastronome's delight.
- He served as a steward at Knock Shrine for 15 years and willingly gave of his time to assist the invalids and pilgrims throughout the pilgrimage season.
- The resort, 1,500m above sea level, with a lake and exquisite views of the snowy mountains, has been a center for invalids and well-off hypochondriacs since the 1860s.
- A nurse in Sudan and Nigeria, Catherine now spends her days in St John's Rest and Care looking after invalids and sick pilgrims who come to Knock.
- His job had been to carry invalids up the mountains from St. Louis to Cilaos for until the building of the road in 1935 it had been impossible for carriages or cars to make it up.
- Our three invalids, though, in spite of languishing in the shade and in one of the few airless parts of the front garden, produce plenty of blooms that are simply too beautiful to destroy.
- Most of the invalids are in their 30s or 40s, securing life-time pensions worth 70 per cent of the final retirement-age salaries.
- This fund was established in 1975 and each year between 30-40 invalids are taken to Lourdes.
- This annual event costs €580 with special concessions for invalids.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.