In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But despite frequent theorizing to the contrary, the lower-frequency beams don't ionize; they pack just enough punch to penetrate and reflect but not to separate electrons from atoms entirely.
- The state develops when a gas is heated to such a high temperature that all atoms in the gas are ionized.
- Evidently, any disruption of the HB-net between Glu - 222 and Tyr - 66 should eliminate the Cro reprotonation in the GS, which would then remain permanently ionized.
- In a neutral atom, the number of electrons is the same as the number of protons but atoms can be ionized, either oxidized or reduced, and end up with a different electron count.
- Bursts that occur later, after hydrogen has ionized, don't have such a gap.
- Nitric acid is completely ionized in solution and as such it is a strong acid and an efficient oxidizing reagent.
- It takes different conformations when it is neutral and ionized.
- The absorption of calcium is dependent on its becoming ionized in the intestines.
- When light shines on certain negative metallic electodes in a vacuum, the metal is ionized and cathode rays, i.e. electrons, are emitted.
- So the physicists turned back the clock and imagined an epoch when the universe was so hot that all its atoms were completely ionized - when all atomic nuclei were laid bare and all electrons roamed free.
- Atoms are ionised and desorb from the sample surface ready for MS analysis.
- The key point is that strong means 100% ionised.
- This means that the dirt allows the air to become ionized more easily.
- The phosphate leaves the protein near pH 4, slightly lower than where Glu - 58 becomes ionized.
- The gas molecules are then ionized, that is, converted into electrically charged fragments.
- Although the universe was no longer hot or ionized, it was still dark.
- The atoms become ionized by the sun's ultraviolet radiation and are then accelerated to enormous energies by the solar wind.
- Plasmas are forms of matter in which a significant fraction of the neutral atoms and molecules have been ionized to form free electrons and ions.
- The gas atoms are ionized, and the liberated electrons are then driven back to the parent atom by the light field and emit light at frequencies that are multiples of the original laser frequency.
- When dust and gas fall into a black hole, they can be sucked towards the event horizon so fast that the atoms are ionized and release bright light that escapes without crossing the event horizon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.