- The new electrochemical system is based on a magnesium anode, a seawater/catholyte electrolyte and an electrocatalyst of palladium and iridium catalyzed on carbon paper.
- The earth's crust is depleted in iridium and other platinum group elements, while meteorites are enriched in them.
- They found the rare element iridium in the thin clay layer that caps the rocks of the Cretaceous era.
- Previously, it was thought that any asteroid or comet collision would leave strong evidence of the element iridium, the signal found in the sedimentary layer from the time of the dinosaur extinction.
- Jewellery made of platinum, iridium and palladium gleamed majestically, now and then emitting flashes of brilliant light from the studded diamonds.