In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Iron Curtain — la cortina de hierro
- All these countries were on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain during the Age of Communism.
- Hungary was isolated behind the Iron Curtain that extended across Europe.
- This all happened when the Iron Curtain divided Europe, and the world, into opposing camps.
- With the Iron Curtain gone, an originally Western European project has received a pan-European dimension.
- However, he largely remained behind the Iron Curtain until 1978, when he defected to the West.
- Part of their job was to interrogate defectors and refugees from the Soviet regime on life behind the Iron Curtain.
- Churchill called the Soviet Russian Wall, the Iron Curtain.
- In the past 15 years, the former East bloc nations behind the Iron Curtain have become free and democratic.
- During the Cold War years, Western Europe encompassed the area to the west of the Iron Curtain.
- But migration from Eastern Europe in those years was blocked by the Iron Curtain.
- After some serious soul-searching I came to realise that the only reason for my sudden stardom was the fact that I was born west of the Iron Curtain.
- A total of more than 300 million leaflets had gone over the Iron Curtain.
- They greatly appealed to audiences behind the Iron Curtain and dictatorships of all kinds.
- Refugees from behind the Iron Curtain were fleeing a tyranny that threatened us all.
- However, the Soviet invasion of 1968 placed Czechoslovakia firmly behind the Iron Curtain.
- During the Cold War we were careful to reach across the Iron Curtain.
- Once run by the Soviets during the reign of the Iron Curtain, Vaziani was a strategic point in Eastern Europe.
- I grew up with a clear picture of the Iron Curtain too, since it was spoken of as though it were as coherent an artifact as the Berlin Wall.
- There were many hopeful comments about the speech broadcast on Radio Free Europe poring in from friends who were stuck behind the Iron Curtain.
- The collapse of the Iron Curtain brought about a political revolution in Europe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.