In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Geographyisla femininean island of sanity in the midst of the urban chaos — un remanso en medio del caos urbano
- before noun island communities tend to be conservative — las comunidades insulares tienden a ser conservadoras
- he was welcomed by the island community — los isleños le dieron la bienvenida
- A passenger jet crashes on a deserted Pacific island.
- A princess visits an island inhabited by two tribes.
- The game still starts off with you escorting an inquisitive journalist to a remote tropical island.
- Soviet troops seized the islands at the end of the war.
- Cuba is an island nation located on the northern rim of the Caribbean Sea.
- The world's smallest lizard has been discovered on a tiny Caribbean island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.
- Delegates from around 190 nations began the session Monday on the Indonesian resort island of Bali.
- No one can ever be really available on our imaginary Pacific desert island mentioned earlier.
- In Bangladesh, coastal areas and some offshore islands have been severely affected by floods as well as violent storms.
- Some small uninhabited Pacific islands that have existed for centuries have disappeared.
- The Keys are a group of coral islands stretching 100 miles from the tip of mainland Florida.
- A tiny speck in the Sulu Sea offers a little known island paradise.
- She longed to visit the island in the middle.
- Forced transmigration programs involved moving people from the densely populated island of Java to the eastern provinces.
- Their latest stop was on the beautiful holiday island of Phi Phi in Thailand.
- Together with the slightly more mountainous Antigua, they make up the island nation.
- The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
- Today's birds descend from a generalist ancestral finch that invaded the islands from mainland Ecuador.
- The first Europeans to visit these uninhabited islands thought they were bewitched.
- The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.
- There is ample land available at the eastern end to cater for a proper island and traffic calming zone.
- I'm not talking about speed cameras, but traffic lights, pedestrian islands etc.
- He lurches the car across the traffic island and accelerates toward the oncoming traffic.
- They have put traffic calming islands in the road, but lorries just swerve round them like juggernauts.
- There are about 37 traffic islands and numerous medians in that part of the city.
2(in road)isla feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.