In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The living usually want to go on living, and it isn't possible when horror is too close.
- So isn't that more of a reason to teach him how to handle the Press, rather than shelter him?
- He isn't nerdy, but he is repelled by what he feels is the machismo of current music.
- Championing the lesser evil to avoid the greater one isn't a tactic that works here.
- No one has ever been able to demonstrate this, for the simple reason that it isn't true.
- We do the same and put out only one bag each week which isn't full, but I fear we are in the minority.
- Name calling such as this does nothing to convince me that the agency isn't doing a good job.
- He says he wants to remain in active politics, but this isn't easy in the new Scotland.
- It could be that they have damaged their own property, which in law isn't an offence.
- The signs are that it isn't going to be as big a hit as many of his other films.
- This is an observation on a par with pointing out to us that the world isn't flat.
- We are using him as a striker but he isn't one and I think that showed a bit with the chance he missed.
- Well it isn't the full marathon but it might as well be for this group of runners.
- He isn't sure what he's going to do if it goes over to Monday because he's got a meeting then.
- Conrad is concerned that Tanya isn't happy and thinks she is still in love with him.
- The windows are closed and there are no flowers in the house so I know this isn't from that.
- Breakfast isn't just about putting fuel in your tank to help drive you through the day.
- This isn't about politics but about the men and women who choose to serve this country.
- The public may not be entirely in the know, but it isn't entirely in the dark, either.
- It's harder to find a cyclist obeying the law than one who isn't and it's not just kids.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.