In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If the US can be persuaded to keep supporting global treaties, ministers argue, it will not retreat into dangerous isolationism.
- A vast humanitarian operation could threaten their gainful isolationism and turn the population against its tormentors.
- An era of involuntary isolationism would be the lot of the United States.
- Older traditions of internationalism and isolationism have been revived and adapted to post-cold war conditions.
- Engagement with the world creates jobs and growth while a policy of economic isolationism destroys them.
- The old policy of economic isolationism is a recipe for economic disaster.
- They rejected isolationism and nationalist parochialism and defended a conception of universal human values.
- Meanwhile, the nation's postwar isolationism proved only temporary.
- In the 1930s, American politics were characterized by isolationism in foreign policy and a preoccupation with internal affairs.
- US isolationism has been around since the country was born.
- The public did not turn to isolationism and the Congress and administration curbed their unilateralism.
- For centuries, the kingdom followed a policy of isolationism.
- The reason for this doctrine was perhaps explained by the curious American policy of isolationism.
- That is because of the always latent and sometimes active strain of isolationism in American political culture.
- I fear that is the other side of America's so-called isolationism; it is an interventionist consequence of isolationism.
- European leaders therefore worried that the United States might at some point be tempted again by the siren call of isolationism.
- I came back convinced that there were only two American foreign policies, either isolationism or a crusade.
- Internationally, nuclear weapons and e-commerce make isolationism impossible.
- People misuse the categories of interventionism and isolationism.
- Quite frankly at this point a policy of isolationism would be fine with me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.