In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(scalp/toe) picarmy nose itches — me pica la nariz
- my/her eyes itch — me/le pican los ojos
- I itch all over — me pica todo el cuerpo
- Her healing stomach itched and prickled with a stinging burn.
- You come to work and at the end of your shift your skin itches.
- Two bites on my arm have come up and they itch like hell.
- They itched like crazy if you didn't cut them off.
- The white infection is starting to fade away and the scabs are beginning to itch terribly.
- Doctors can find nothing wrong with the ear, but it itches like crazy.
- After completing your insulation, you may find that your skin itches from fiberglass irritation.
- Her head was itching like crazy and her hair felt lank and greasy.
- The bite itched like the world, but I resisted the urge to scratch it.
- Mosquitos began to bite her skin and the bites itched terribly, though she dared not scratch them for fear of betraying her presence.
- When I got home my face started swelling and itching terribly.
- I suffer badly from allergies, and my eyes itch constantly.
- "Her bottom's been itching all this week, especially at night.
- The wheals can itch, and they look like mosquito bites.
- Here I am tied up, beaten, my nose itches terribly.
- After a short time it begins to tickle, then to itch, and finally even make the neck a bit sore!
- A minor bite causes a bump that may itch for a few hours, then disappears over several days.
- Kevin couldn't stand it, his skin itched and his mind raced.
- They itch just like mosquito bites but without the big slow mosquito to squish.
- My scalp itches and flakes and I shed big hunks of white skin.
1.2(be impatient, eager)to be itching to + inf / for sth
- he was itching to tell her — estaba que se moría por decírselo
- she is itching for a chance to appear on TV — se muere por salir en la tele
- It was as if it was beckoning me outside and I itched to join it.
- She banged loudly on the front door, her hand itching to slap something.
- The dog who stands straight and doesn't circle is itching for a fight.
- But Royer was a bit restless and was itching to ratchet things up a notch.
- Are you itching to try out some new moves but not sure where to start?
- Britain is being forced to choose between America and Europe, and Blair is positively itching to take the test.
- Do you want to stay in the genre or are you itching to try something different?
- He had his annoying smirk back in place and she itched to slap him.
- He still itched to grab one of her daggers and turn the tables on her.
- She was constantly itching for a new place, a new territory.
- Ben was positively itching to get his fingers on the keyboard, but Lia wisely didn't let him.
- He was itching for a fight and she seemed ready to give him one.
- Her hands had itched to run across his wide shoulders, down his chest.
- His fingers itched to touch it and he fought the urge by curling his hands into fists.
- It has strong European flavours and is itching to be taken seriously.
- His fingers itched to touch her in places he shouldn't even begin to think of.
- She'd taken several gardening classes, and she was itching to get started.
- Her own fingers were itching to touch his whiskered jaw, her lips craved the taste of his.
- Besides, I was itching to get out and test the stallion's motion.
- Williams is now itching for a chance of first team football with Palace.
2(wool/underwear) picar(underwear/wool) hacer picar
1this is itching me — esto me hace picar
1(irritation)picor masculinepicazón femininecomezón feminine
2(desire)ansiahe felt the itch for travel — tenía el gusanillo de los viajes informal
- the seven-year itch — la crisis de los siete años
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.