In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1trapo de cocina desechable masculine
- If food falls on the floor it should be thrown away - it is the work surfaces which must be kept clean (and not with old J-cloths!)
- 5 Place a colander over a large bowl and lay in a large wet piece of muslin or a clean J-cloth.
- Fortunately, Tuesday is the day my lovely French cleaner, Jean-Paul, comes in to whip round the place with a duster, some J-cloths and Fairy Liquid Power.
- I've thought of everything - I'm in my worst clothes, I have brushes, rollers and a pole, and even some damp J-cloths ready to remove paint that strays onto the woodwork.
- I need a large supply of dusters or J-cloths to dust the books as I sort them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.