In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(lifting device)gato masculine
2(socket)enchufe hembra masculine
3.1feminine jotamasculine valetfeminine sota
- If the turn-up is a Jack, dealer scores one white chip at once; if the turn-up is the Joker, dealer scores one blue chip at once and the cards are immediately thrown in.
- The pile (anywhere from one card to a large number) may be taken by matching the value of the last card played or with a Jack, but it is not a foxtrot unless there is only one card in the pile when it is matched.
- Notice also that it is not legal for East to put the jacks in the front hand, because it would then not be possible to make a middle hand that was better and a back hand that was better still from the remaining ten cards.
- Police in Xinyang, a city in Henan province, have produced a half million packs of cards with the pictures of ‘notorious suspects’ on aces, kings, queens and jacks in an effort to capture the criminals.
- If the player cannot match any cards and does not have a Jack or Joker in their hand (or chooses not to use them) then they must draw from stock pile.
- Tharp compares the work to a game of jacks, one in which you pick up an increasing number of pieces with one hand while bouncing a ball in the other.
- In Korea, young girls play a game of jacks, tossing small stones onto the ground, throwing a ball up in the air, and and trying to pick the stones up before catching the ball.
- The product that animates Harris's work life is Crazy Bones - packs of small, brightly hued plastic figurines that are used to play a variety of games similar to jacks or marbles or dice.
3.3(in bowls)boliche masculine
- Lawn bowling required four bowls for each player and a jack for a goal.
- Having gone into the last end at 13-13, Maureen Walker's last bowl trailed the jack for three shots.
- The only way to develop the skill of accurately estimating the distance from the bowl to the jack is to practise doing it and keep on until you gain consistency to within a few centimetres.
- By rolling the jack and concentrating on the feel of it, you will find the real pace of the green and have a better chance of putting the first bowl close to the jack.
- Two teams get four balls each and aim to get them nearest the white ball or the jack.
4Jack and the Beanstalk — Jack y las habichuelas mágicas
- Jack the Ripper — Jack el destripador
- I'm all right, Jack! — allá se pudran los demás
- before you can say Jack Robinson — en un abrir y cerrar de ojos
- before noun Jack Frost — helada
1USinformal(to steal)birlar informalafanarse informalvolar Venezuela Mexico informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.