In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Clothingchaqueta femininesports jacket — saco (sport) masculine Latin America
- He unbuttoned the tuxedo jacket and rolled the sleeves to his elbows.
- At the time he had a goatee beard and was wearing a waist length jacket with maroon coloured sleeves, dark coloured jeans and dark coloured footwear.
- The jackets are skillfully constructed, whether impeccable blazers or little jackets with bouffant sleeves.
- He misjudged her reaction, and removed his leather jacket, enveloping her shoulders with it.
- For evening, her navy tuxedo jacket has satin trim on the collar, pocket and sleeves, and is a modern twist on a classic design.
- The popular lengths for jackets this fall are waist length, three-quarter length and trench coat length.
- From leather jackets and blazers, to pants, yes, pants, learn to look stylish in the latest trend.
- The mystery caller was stocky and dressed in a blouson jacket and a baseball cap.
- The 10 are then trained to operate speed guns identical to those used by police and kitted out with official-looking high-visibility jackets.
- Get ready for the heat with the latest in outerwear; from trench coats to suede jackets.
- Like jean jackets, your jeans can be worn with multiple tops and shoe styles.
- Joy removed the matching boutonnière from its clear plastic container and pinned it on the lapel of his tuxedo jacket.
- Suspicions were raised when a chamber maid saw documents in his jacket which contradicted his story.
- Jean grabs him by the lapel of his tuxedo jacket and narrows her green eyes at him.
- Damian pulled out an envelope from his jacket and sat across from Stephanie, his other hand still holding onto her delicate fingers.
- The key here is to get her something between a jacket and a blazer that she can just throw on with any outfit.
- Romanov pulled out a file folder from her jacket slowly, ensuring that the bodyguards saw what she held, and handed it to Mr. Devlin.
- Jean skirts, jean jackets, and all lengths and styles of jeans can give your wardrobe great variety!
- I reached into the front pocket of my jacket and took out a small business card.
- Often featuring a snap front and drawstring waist, this jacket maybe lined or unlined.
2.1(of book)sobrecubierta femininecamisa feminine
- You may not have heard of House Industries, but you will undoubtedly have seen their work, be it on book jackets, CD covers or in the typography of advertising.
- A selection of books are on display with a summary of the story covering the book jacket.
- The atmosphere is literary, with the walls covered in huge posters of book jackets of American literary masterpieces.
- This week's review is a hard cover book with a hard-hitting jacket, determined to catch your attention.
- Chris Moore lives in another world - but it's all in a day's work for the artist whose illustrations have been used on the book jackets of some of the world's top authors.
2.2US (of record)funda femininecarátula feminine
2.3US (for documents)carpeta feminine
3British(of potato)potatoes in their jackets, jacket potatoes — papas asadas feminine Latin America
4(of boiler, engine)funda feminine
- Bosch designed a thin inner liner of soft steel that sealed the gases in, its pressure load supported by a stout perforated steel jacket.
- Install an insulating jacket around the hot water heater to improve its heat retention capability.
- If you have a conventional water heater, give it a wrap as well with an insulated jacket that will help prevent energy loss.
- Similarly, a steel and concrete jacket was secured to the swing span central pier in 1936.
- If your water heater is located in an unheated space, bundle it up with an insulating jacket.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.