In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Clothingchaqueta femininesports jacket — americana feminine
- From leather jackets and blazers, to pants, yes, pants, learn to look stylish in the latest trend.
- For evening, her navy tuxedo jacket has satin trim on the collar, pocket and sleeves, and is a modern twist on a classic design.
- Romanov pulled out a file folder from her jacket slowly, ensuring that the bodyguards saw what she held, and handed it to Mr. Devlin.
- Get ready for the heat with the latest in outerwear; from trench coats to suede jackets.
- Like jean jackets, your jeans can be worn with multiple tops and shoe styles.
- At the time he had a goatee beard and was wearing a waist length jacket with maroon coloured sleeves, dark coloured jeans and dark coloured footwear.
- The popular lengths for jackets this fall are waist length, three-quarter length and trench coat length.
- Jean skirts, jean jackets, and all lengths and styles of jeans can give your wardrobe great variety!
- The key here is to get her something between a jacket and a blazer that she can just throw on with any outfit.
- Often featuring a snap front and drawstring waist, this jacket maybe lined or unlined.
- The 10 are then trained to operate speed guns identical to those used by police and kitted out with official-looking high-visibility jackets.
- Damian pulled out an envelope from his jacket and sat across from Stephanie, his other hand still holding onto her delicate fingers.
- The mystery caller was stocky and dressed in a blouson jacket and a baseball cap.
- Jean grabs him by the lapel of his tuxedo jacket and narrows her green eyes at him.
- He unbuttoned the tuxedo jacket and rolled the sleeves to his elbows.
- Suspicions were raised when a chamber maid saw documents in his jacket which contradicted his story.
- I reached into the front pocket of my jacket and took out a small business card.
- The jackets are skillfully constructed, whether impeccable blazers or little jackets with bouffant sleeves.
- Joy removed the matching boutonnière from its clear plastic container and pinned it on the lapel of his tuxedo jacket.
- He misjudged her reaction, and removed his leather jacket, enveloping her shoulders with it.
2.1(of book)sobrecubierta femininecamisa feminine
- Chris Moore lives in another world - but it's all in a day's work for the artist whose illustrations have been used on the book jackets of some of the world's top authors.
- This week's review is a hard cover book with a hard-hitting jacket, determined to catch your attention.
- The atmosphere is literary, with the walls covered in huge posters of book jackets of American literary masterpieces.
- You may not have heard of House Industries, but you will undoubtedly have seen their work, be it on book jackets, CD covers or in the typography of advertising.
- A selection of books are on display with a summary of the story covering the book jacket.
2.2US (of record)funda femininecarátula feminine
2.3US (for documents)carpeta feminine
3British(of potato)potatoes in their jackets, jacket potatoes — patatas asadas Spain — con la cáscara
4(of boiler, engine)funda feminine
- Install an insulating jacket around the hot water heater to improve its heat retention capability.
- Bosch designed a thin inner liner of soft steel that sealed the gases in, its pressure load supported by a stout perforated steel jacket.
- If your water heater is located in an unheated space, bundle it up with an insulating jacket.
- Similarly, a steel and concrete jacket was secured to the swing span central pier in 1936.
- If you have a conventional water heater, give it a wrap as well with an insulated jacket that will help prevent energy loss.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.