In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1martillo neumático masculine
- In Taba, where the blast brought down a 10-storey wing of the resort, Egyptian and Israeli rescuers used everything from jackhammers and drills to dogs and bare hands to search the wreckage.
- They are doing alterations in my office building, and there is a little man coming in every day with a jackhammer and it sounds as if he is drilling his way through to Singapore.
- For the past few days, we've been blown away with all the noise from jackhammers, heavy road equipment, and auxiliary power units.
- Landon cracked his eyes open and grimaced in pain from the pounding headache; like an incessant jackhammer drilling into his skull at all angles.
- In a quiet sidestreet, at 3am, someone was running a bloody jackhammer, drilling up the tarmac.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.