In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carcelero masculinecarcelera feminine
- She was trapped in a prison and her jailer refused to release her.
- In The Abduction from the Seraglio, in The Magic Flute, the prisoners will be guarded by jailers whose vigilance must be outwitted.
- After a deeply traumatic childhood, where his father left him to rot in Newgate prison, Sweeney takes violent revenge against the gaoler who tormented him in prison.
- The county's police force is recruiting civilian jailers - or custody support staff - as part of a shake-up of its custody services.
- According to press reports, the two British detainees have been told by their military jailers to plead guilty and accept 20-year prison sentences or go to trial and face certain conviction and the real threat of execution.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.