In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Without their intelligence, the enforcement people end up investigating small time drug offenders on tips from the police, or hanging out at the local jailhouse looking for aliens to deport.
- CompuDyne also supplies security and specialty engineering and telecom products to the military and intelligence agencies, electronic security products for prisons, and all-steel jailhouses.
- I had them placed into protective custody at the jailhouse in Hamburg.
- The first morning they visited the jailhouse, two prisoners were behind bars.
- He kissed Bathsheba's pale hand and marched out of the building toward the jailhouse, later to be confined for life in an institution.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.