In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cacharro masculine informalcarcacha feminine Mexico Andes informalcachila feminine Uruguay informal
- The '56 Mercury sputtered along like an old jalopy.
- I remember Dave telling me how surprised he was that George was driving an old jalopy that barely ran.
- He was driving an old jalopy, but when Ernie Reisinger saw the car he said, ‘You can't drive that.
- Well, the Navy just took its first taxi, and it's taking us where we need to go much faster than its old jalopy.
- The neglected poverty-stricken landscape of Motown is captured throughout the film by the trailer homes, abandoned buildings and jalopies in shades of muted gray, browns, greens and rust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.