In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1níspero del Japón masculine
- A new shrub to our garden this year is the summer flowering Spiraea japonica Anthony Waterer which is still blooming here well into October.
- The Japanese quince, Chaenomeles japonica, is one of the more common spring flowering shrubs to be found in our gardens.
- Summer flower species such as Spiraea japonica flower on growth made in the current year.
- Catch up on the pruning and in particular the cutting back of spring-flowering shrubs such as Kerria japonica and winter jasmine.
- Underneath you could plant Mahonia japonica, a handsome all-year round shrub, with lily of the valley scented yellow flowers in early winter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.