- Eight weeks after starting she developed nausea and weakness quickly followed by yellow jaundice and evidence of liver involvement.
- Babies with jaundice have a yellow color to the skin and eyes.
- If untreated, jaundice can lead to infection and abscesses in the liver, which can be fatal.
- In prehepatic jaundice, excess unconjugated bilirubin is produced faster than the liver is able to conjugate it for excretion.
- Premature babies have especially immature livers, making jaundice more likely.