In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(fearing rivalry)(lover/husband) celosoto get jealous — ponerse celoso
- he does it to make you jealous — lo hace para que te pongas celosa
- in a jealous rage — en un arrebato de celos
- to be jealous of sb — estar celoso de algn
- We stopped sleeping together, but when Hanna got a new boyfriend I was jealous for the first time ever.
- Alison told him that her husband was a jealous man, but that she would meet him as soon as she could without worry or fear that he would find them.
- Also, she had been asked to join study groups, but the husband was jealous, and forbade her from meeting with other students.
- Over three quarters reported that their dating partners did something to make them jealous.
- A jealous husband broke a man's nose because he thought someone was ‘ogling’ his wife.
1.2(envious)(nature/person) envidiosodon't you feel jealous when you see … ? — ¿no te da envidia ver …?
- you're only jealous! — ¡lo que tienes es envidia!
- to be jealous of sth — envidiar algo
- to be jealous of sb — tenerle envidia a algn
- By our very nature, we are selfish, jealous, envious, stricken with strife, and sometimes downright rebellious.
- His house is huge and his dogs were so happy and friendly when I arrived, but now the oldest seems jealous of the attention he is giving me.
- I'm jealous of the people behind the popular weblogs.
- They were much more intelligent than we were, and quite frankly, we were jealous of their achievements.
- Some English people feel jealous of Scotland's better roads, free higher education and a more efficient welfare system.
- My personal view, admittedly pretty neurotic, is that the politician is jealous of hardworking people who can manage to have a good time.
- And her eyes were outlined in black eyeliner, making her green eyes stand out even more, which she was jealous of.
- I try not to get jealous of her affection for my dog.
- She said they were jealous of her genius and resented her because she was a woman.
- I'm insanely jealous of people who have imaginations.
- She had dark brown hair and bright green eyes, I was also jealous of.
- I imagine many so-called moralists are secretly jealous of teens engaged in pleasure, as opposed to any serious moral valuation they may hold.
- People who are envious or jealous seem to be in a perpetual state of suffering and anguish.
- We each seek our own advantage, competing and exploiting as necessary; jealous of the success of others and determined to hold on to what we think of as ours.
- It would be selfish to be jealous of him, and I could truthfully say I wasn't.
- We are trying to put an entertaining team on the park, and some people are jealous of that.
- He is jealous of their prowess, and those qualities together in this time could be the biggest asset that we have in leadership.
- The Soviet Union had better technology and more money to spend on it than America, and that made the Americans jealous, even envious.
- Despite being backstabbers and fiercely jealous of each other, I think of writers as an international guild.
- You are really and truly, happy for your friend because something fantastic is happening in their life, but at the same time you are so jealous of them that you want to scream.
2(protective)to be jealous of sth — ser celoso de algo
- It means that he cares enough about you and your relationship that he is getting jealous and protective of you.
- Mr Dallas said Edmunds was possessive and jealous of Miss Lawrance and took the view that if he could not have her then no one else would.
- He was too possessive of her, she was too jealous of him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.