In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(insipid)(style/essay) huero literary(style/essay) vacuo literary
- Contemporary reflections on Stauffenberg risk seeming rather jejune.
- Seldon's authors, half of them academics, half journalists, are competent and fall down only in their often jejune judgments.
- The soprano playing the part of the Woodbird clumsily ‘flies’ a replica avian on a fishing rod - the whole scene looks jejune and ridiculous.
- Like Whitman's poetry, Elvrum's lyrics are often as elementary as a child's jejune rambling, and yet, in their simplicity, they're sturdy, sophisticated, and poignantly inquisitive.
- Every time there's an event that brings forth a manifestation of religious belief by large numbers of people, some militant secularist or other will give out an opinion that would be jejune coming from an intelligent sixth-former.
- You have to ask yourself why is that and quite frankly when it comes to Tracey, although one or two of her pieces have a certain odd, jejune quality, her art work is essentially a peg on which she hangs her media persona which is her main work.
- Or perhaps your superiors realized that your rhetoric is sloppy, tendentious, jejune and banal, and they think - correctly - that this reflects on your employer, the FBI.
- We've all perfected the wasp-wave; you flick your hand with a disinterested languor - just think Oscar Wilde dismissing a jejune insult - and the wind distracts the wasp for a second or two.
2(naive)(criticism/views) cándido(views/criticism) ingenuo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.