In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dance)baile de los años 40 y 50 con música de jazz o rock
- Soon, in addition to jazz, ballet and tap, children may be begging for swing, jive, foxtrot and rumba lessons.
- Ratc now conducts beginners' classes to introduce you to the jive, cha cha, and salsa.
- We first went over our existing steps in the jive.
- Sylvia lent him to me at the adults' Christmas party for a jive, for which I was very grateful.
- Jitterbugs on August 2, 16 and 30 provides jive and boogie 1940s'-style classes for all the family.
- They succumbed in laughter, and eventually gave up, and danced jive to the lively music.
- Co-founder Terry Monaghan described what it takes to be an ace at the jive.
- We used to have to get the shy boys up to dance, teach them the basic steps, waltz, jive, and Latin steps.
- She employs around 20 teachers, teaching ballet, tap, foxtrot, waltz, tango, jive and hip hop.
- Gloria and her husband still enjoy a bit of a bop and a jive.
- The ‘moving center’ of the dance, in jive's case the handhold, should remain firm.
- Fifty members of the group turned up to show just how the jive should be danced.
- Now, jobs figures still aren't dancing the jive yet, but prices are spiraling higher and higher, mocking the Fed's directorate for central planning.
- We practiced the cha-cha, quickstep, jive and samba, all of which are coming along quite well.
- She'd added a little jazz to her dance this time, some quicksteps and jives.
- The next hour is spent dancing the tango, the waltz the rumba, the cha-cha and jive.
- Live music, dance workshops and late-night jive discos are only some of the treats for enthusiasts.
- In a hurly-burly whirl of tunes and groovy jives, Macbeth: The Rock Opera, which puts on its final performance at the Guild Theatre tonight, is rocking audiences, young and old.
- The jive may be the latest dance craze here but it is not new.
- There was also a blitz ball, a jitterbug jive dance night, a mock 1940s wedding, a remembrance service and a parade.
US informalpamplinas feminine informalchorradas feminine informalpendejadas feminine Southern Cone Latin America informalpavadas feminine informalmacanas feminine River Plate informalleseras feminine Chile informal
- He shops for disco clothes and plaid pants, gets an Afro wig and starts talking jive.
- It's a nice portrait of Strummer the hipster, talking his jive talk and dropping the needle on U Roy records to a worldwide audience.
- Scott Hudson was freaking hilarious talking in carny jive when interviewing them.
- But I feel like we are all still telling the same joke about Barbara Billingsley talking jive in Airplane.
- She has the poker jive down pat, but can't shuffle the cards worth a damn.
- The audience is tuned in, hip to the lingo, the jive.
- With a name full of jargon jive and a cast of unknown comedians and aspiring actors, this marketed as a hip urban comedy sounds like a prescription for disaster.
- There are beautiful teens with bored expressions, belied by their enthusiastic jive.
- Toasting, the addition of jive talk to recorded rhythms, was one of the major offshoots of reggae - dub poetry was the other.
- Talking to Ike Turner, with all due respect, is kinda like listening to a jive talkin’ Grandpa Simpson.
- Between the intermittent razor-sharp lines, he lumbers his cast with some creaky, faintly anachronistic hipster jive dialogue.
- Rarely is such a degree of lingua franca phrasing, of jazzy jive, to be found in his film reviews, and it is utterly absent from ‘Hollywood's Gift’.
- Audrey II has started to talk and not just talk, but Shaft-like jive talk.
1bailar el jive
- There are many people who want to dance and jive to that kind of music.
- Everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves, dancing and jiving about.
- Mansi, Kashmira and Anu come into the dancing space and start jiving to the music.
- Dressed in 70's disco dancer regalia, the president jived, boogied and strutted on the computer screen with gamers choosing his next step.
- Busking and jiving - Bolton rocked away the weekend with music and dance.
- There will be street jiving, dancing all day, marching bands, music and entertainment.
- Just as the music-loving crowd, a majority of them youngsters, were getting into the groove with some static jiving, the stars arrived.
- Last October, the band had the audience jiving on the dance floor and helped raise more than £2,000 for Kingston Hospital's cancer unit appeal.
- Committee members and volunteers were letting their hair down and they boogied and jived to the rhythmic beat of local band The Jury.
- They had a CD of Christmassy tunes set to standard dance rhythms, and jiving to Slade was most enjoyable!
- By midnight, everyone was on the dance floor, jiving to a number Archie knew he'd heard several times, but couldn't quite place a name on.
- Following straight on from the Pilates class above will be an introduction to jiving and jitterbugging.
- Learn to jive, waltz, quick step etc. at classes to be held in Ceolaras Coleman.
- All of a sudden we looked up and there was a big circle of Americans around us while we were jiving and they kept asking us to dance.
- Jump and jive with R'n'B and Boogie-Woogie, a la Jools Holland.
- Particular thanks go to the Summerland Rockers who jived and rocked their hearts out to a very appreciative audience.
- ‘Wanna shop now,’ he says, as he jinks and jives down Oxford Street with his entourage trailing behind.
- Over 1,000 people bopped, jigged, jived and pogoed to some excellent bands.
- They jived to just about every chartbuster that rocks disco, pub and party circuit.
- Members can take lessons at a variety of levels at little or no cost or just hang out and jive to big band music.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.