In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(latecomer)dormido masculine informaltren de última hora masculine informal
- They're the newest johnny-come-lately to blogging and they don't stand a chance against Blogger, MT, Wordpress and everything else that came before.
- Of course, some johnny-come-latelies will have absolutely no recollection of that history, at all.
- Oh, johnny-come-lately, the new boy on the block, says that this is a Budget policy debate.
- We do not have to fill this country with whoever wants to come here - any johnny-come-lately who feels uncomfortable here, there, or anywhere.
- Indeed, objections to Mary are johnny-come-latelies on the stage of Protestant theology.
- The threat comes not from some Whitehall johnny-come-lately, nor some politically correct illiterate chair of a focus group, seeking his day in the Sun.
- How does this johnny-come-lately who is more ‘pay-per-view’ than ‘free to air’ concern us people?
- The electoral college makes it likely that Harney - rather than a membership stuffed with johnny-come-latelies - will herself choose the next leader.
- The Ramones aren't any johnny-come-lately to the right.
- At the same time, Parlon is something of a johnny-come-lately to the party, and suspicion abounds that he could just as happily represent another party.
- Although New Zealand First is a johnny-come-lately, at least it has finally got it right.
- As Italian American clubs, all the recent anthologies can't help but look a bit johnny-come-lately.
2(upstart)recién llegado masculineadvenedizo masculinetrepa masculine Spain informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.