In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1empujarpeople jostled one another — la gente se empujaba / se daba empujones / empellones
- he was jostled by protestors as he left — al salir fue zarandeado por unos manifestantes
- She tried to walk as quickly as possible without jostling the patient.
- As I straightened up I was jostled, very slightly, by Doreen and her companion, hurrying to get past.
- Clark looked up to see two men who were obviously guards of some kind practically jostling him.
- I was jostled, tugged along as if all these people were a tide.
- On it, you're constantly jostled, poked, elbowed and stepped on by your boogieing neighbours.
- As she was jostled, the pain became so intense that she cried out before passing out cold.
- She stood staring at the lion while students jostled her and pushed their way to their friends.
- In my perambulations up and down Oxford Street and in the shops no one jostled me, no one got in my way.
- I went to step closer to her, but Abby brushed past us, jostling me and Jen as she headed out of the barn to my car.
- They booed and jostled him and only the expertise of the Special Branch ensured he got inside unscathed.
- As I was jostled and bumped into the washroom, I saw a sight that would change my life forever.
- Roop saw the look of eagerness on my face, and stuck close on my heels as the crowd jostled us forward.
- The room filled with nurses and doctors and I was jostled back into the hallway.
- The next thing I knew, I was jostled and shoved around by people I could barely even see.
- She was jostled with every step she took and was sure she was bruised from the larger and faster beings traveling down the walkways.
- Within seconds, we were surrounded by police, pushing and jostling us and telling us we couldn't go forward.
- Shelley was hard-pressed to keep up as she was jostled with each step by dancing maniacs who didn't seem to care who they hit.
- They never left her side all the time she was recuperating and they never bumped or jostled her.
- Occasionally he was jostled by an elbow, but he just ignored them and kept going.
- Walking slowly, she was slightly jostled about by the congested crowd of people on the sidewalk.
1people were jostling trying to get out — la gente se empujaba tratando de salir
- to jostle for sth
- hundreds of customers jostling for service — cientos de clientes peleando por ser atendidos
- the number of students jostling for a few places — el número de estudiantes que se disputan unos pocos lugares
- among the problems jostling for my attention … — entre los problemas que reclaman / se disputan mi atención …
- They concluded that the village was less of a sleepy backwater than previously thought and more intensively settled, with houses jostling for space.
- In a competitive market where hundreds of brand names jostle for attention, several are emerging as the next big thing.
- Politics today is like a permanent campaign, with both sides jostling for public advantage on a daily basis.
- He shared the operating theatre with around 20 medical students, all elbowing and jostling for the best view.
- Forget jostling for space on the platform with hundreds of other passengers only to find that your train has been delayed or cancelled.
- The main attraction, though, has to be the generous beer garden which sees locals and tourists alike jostling for space.
- Till then, this overcrowded footpath will see pedestrians jostling for space.
- Always painfully aware of their place in the pecking-order, they struggle and jostle for position.
- But by the 10 am opening times things had got out of hand when a crowd of several hundred began jostling for position.
- We're both talkers, forever jostling for the other's ear.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.