In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His method of interacting with patients was to be jovial and carefree in an effort to relax them.
- But he was mostly in a jovial mood as he conducted a round of interviews.
- The three men laughed and continued the jovial remarks until their lunches arrived.
- It took the form of a very jovial round faced friend of mine called Bill who lived two streets away.
- Of course it will be delivered with a jovial smile and a pat on the back.
- The mood was pretty jovial after the show and the band hung out and mingled.
- For his part, Frey was in a jovial mood, joking with the crowd throughout the night.
- Larry will be remembered for his lively, jovial manner for whom work was his pleasure.
- His jovial manner and friendly approach sets him aside from all others that ever worked in town.
- The Professor has been drinking and is in a very jovial mood, but he kids you not.
- The conversation became jovial through the stories they shared about being in a state of intoxication.
- The door banged open then and William flounced into the room with a jovial grin.
- He was joined by friends for the special occasion and was in jovial form as usual.
- If they were nervous, it was pretty tough to tell, they had such a friendly, jovial way about them.
- While during the day it is very relaxing, at night it is jovial and good humoured.
- She sighed and turned her head to look behind her and gave him a jovial smile.
- Despite my trying to remain jovial and positive Gerald was miserable and moody.
- The laugh was deep and jovial, yet any listener could pick out the sinister tone.
- Marie looked up at the girl and saw in place of the normally jovial smile an expression of sincerity.
- The atmosphere was electric and both sets of fans were jovial and friendly for much of the game.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.