In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine jugomasculine jugomasculine zumo Spainit cooks in its own juices — se cuece en su propio jugo
- Add four tbsp of the juices to the shredded meat, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Strain the cooking juices into a saucepan and boil to reduce by half.
- Watch out for acidic drinks, such as fizzy drinks and fruit juices, as they can cause tooth erosion.
- Cook meat thoroughly; juices should be brown, not pink or red.
- Pass the cooking juices through a food mill into a saucepan and stir in the lemon juice.
- Place the lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper and oil in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- She cursed to herself for drinking all that fruit juice.
- Since the surgery, the woman has eaten strawberries and chocolate and drunk coffee and fruit juice, her doctors said.
- Pour on the marinade juices and cook for one hour in a medium oven.
- Allowing a roast or a whole fish to rest after being cooked so the juices can work themselves through the meat is slow cooking, too.
- Stick to bottled water and canned soft drinks, fruit juices, and alcoholic beverages.
- Water is the most common beverage, but coconut water and fruit juices also are drunk.
- For palates that have grown up with an array of soft drinks and fruit juices, that flavor profile can be a little too intense.
- Add mustard and all of the herbs and spices to the white sauce then add lemon juice.
- Once the cheese has melted, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- The rotation slowly cooks the meat in its own juices and allows easy access for continuous basting.
- Pour the fig dressing into the pan, stirring to combine with the meat juices, then drizzle around the liver and serve.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice, pepper and add the remaining parsley.
- Pour and add the lemon juice, salt, honey, pepper and olive oil in a vessel.
- Strain in the juices and oil from cooking until you have a smooth paste.
- It is also used for other natural products, including fruit juices, beer, wine and honey.
- Fruit and vegetable juices are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- For fruits low in acid, add lemon juice or other acid ingredients as directed.
- First of all pub visits would mean drinking cola or orange juice.
- Drink plenty of fruit juices, like orange juice and grape juice.
- I drink only orange juice, never tea or coffee, which would only increase my level of impatience.
- To the cold syrup add the extracted juice and mix by stirring.
- Since I like doing things by hand I have always extracted juices the old fashioned way.
- Add the pickled sloes to the cooking juices and warm through.
- Cook all meats completely (the juices should be clear and there should be no pink areas).
- Replace fruit juice and soft drinks with ice water.
- For the thirsty, there are stalls specializing in freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, papaya milk shakes and cold teas.
- Add the lemon juice and cider vinegar to the pulp.
- So take your mother's advice and drink some orange juice!
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the vinegar, lemon juice and mustard, then slowly add the olive oil.
- We drink tall mojitos, juleps made with lime juice, rum, and crushed mint.
- Choose water, club soda, diet soda, fruit juice, tea and coffee first.
- Drizzle olive oil over everything and add the juice of one lemon and one lime.
- Add lemon juice, pepper, and reserved meatballs and mushrooms.
- For each mojito we use the juice from one whole lime - and a little of that green skin.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper and mulch in your hands.
- Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup or lemon juice and sugar.
- Piercing the meat with a fork can release juices and fat that can cause flame flare-ups.
- A good way to break the habit of skipping breakfast is to make and drink fresh fruit or vegetable juices.
- Brush each piece of lamb with Dijon mustard, then roll in the breadcrumbs (this will stop the puff pastry from absorbing the juices when it is cooking).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- There is a selection of imported fruit juices and soft drinks.
- I just serve it with the cooking juices and lemon wedges to squeeze over it.
- Last time James had stomach problems after drinking too much orange juice.
- He griped because I had drunk all his orange juice.
- Soft drinks, fruit juices, and mineral waters are widely available.
- At this point the vegetables should be cooked but not colored, and there should be cooking juices at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5 min or until the juices almost cook away.
- Baste with cooking juices throughout for golden crispy skin.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar add the lemon juice and stir.
- They ate food cooked in their juices over fires fuelled from their husks, and used antiseptic squeezed from them on cuts.
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and herbs in a small saucepan.
- Leave a thin layer of fat on steaks, chops, and roasts during cooking to seal in juices.
- The fact that you don't need an electrical appliance to extract juice from a watermelon also comes as a blessing for these vendors.
- Pizzas are grilled, and kebabs threaded with bread between the chunks of meat, to soak up their juices as they cook.
- Hydrolysis also goes on in the strongly acid digestive juices of the stomach.
- Tastes abound, but smells, the scents that get the salivary juices running, are absent.
- Just a bite or two to get the stomach juices churning.
- This gland secretes digestive juices that help in breaking down foods.
- Does it need stomach juices to disintegrate or is my aspirin no good?
- Digestive problems may occur if the cancer blocks the release of pancreatic juices into the bowel.
- Artichoke leaf extract stimulates digestive juices like saliva and bile to help you break down food.
- Chewing food thoroughly makes smaller food particles that dissolve much more easily in the digestive juices in the gut.
- Large meals put increased demands on digestion, since your body is only able to produce a certain volume of digestive juices.
- Gall stones may lodge at the intersection, causing obstruction to the flow of pancreatic juices or bile.
- The pancreas makes and secretes digestive juices and enzymes, which help break down fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
- Stomach juices must break them into small pieces before they can be absorbed through the stomach wall and enter the bloodstream, Phillips says.
- The stomach releases digestive juices and absorbs the resulting soup.
- The essential oils found in the leaves even aid digestion by increasing the flow of digestive juices.
- Like peppermint, it helps your body expel gas, but it also stimulates your digestive juices.
- The acids and digestive juices in the stomach and intestines would break down and destroy insulin if it was swallowed, so it can't be taken in a pill.
- It stores digestive juices that are made by the liver.
- People under stress may also bolt their food, creating extra work for their digestive juices.
- It usually starts in the inner lining of the tube that the digestive juices flow through.
- Further, if the digestive juices are slowed in their transit, constipation occurs.
2.1slang (liquid fuel)combustible masculine
2.2slang (electricity)luz feminine informal
- There is no need to wait on the engine as there is plenty of electric juice to launch the vehicle.
- Such electronics suck a lot of juice - power that the beefy hydrogen cells ably supply.
- Supplying the juice for all this electrical stuff is the next problem.
- Switches, outlets and fixtures are the gateways through which your electrical juice pours.
- You need electric juice to mix up all those fruity summer drinks to be enjoyed poolside.
2.3US slang (vitality)vida feminineshe's still full of juice — sigue tan llena de vida
- Stuck for ideas, they went to the pub to top up their creative juices.
- Parenthood, it seems, gets everyone's creative juices flowing.
- In fact, we'll be using the furniture, posts, doors and other fixtures in ways guaranteed to get your creative juices flowing.
- But think how it could loosen up your creative juices.
- An architect by profession, Noel let his creative juices loose on the project.
- Fantasies start to flow, and so do Sarah's creative juices.
- When we're excited about a project, our creative juices and mental faculties are in full gear.
- ‘Too often, directors starve the creative juices of the actors,’ McDonald explains.
- With party think tanks, big and small, uncorking their creative juices, seminal works take centre stage and artistic expressions reach for the stars.
- There is still time to get the creative juices running and this could be a profitable exercise as the prize money on offer in the competition has increased this year.
- To help their creative juices flow, the students were divided into four groups of seven.
- I'm frequently lacking any any creative juices, and feedback is good.
- That's what you need to stimulate the creative juices!
- Flavors get lighter and fruitier in the spring and that sap-rising energy gets creative juices flowing, and pouring.
- My creative juices boil at the prospect of national stardom.
- Eating outside usually got her creative juices flowing.
- Budding film writers are to be offered help to set their creative juices free with a new course in Lancaster.
- But the creative juices have somewhat dried up - for now - and I think it's time I took a break from writing.
- The creative juices were flowing in Hacketstown recently as the town's young people looked to their own town for inspiration.
- Let your creative juices flow, draw inspiration and give words.
2.4US slang (alcohol)bebida femininehe's hitting the juice again — le está dando a la bebida otra vez informal
- The industrial-strength stainless steel cutting blade is designed to juice fruits and vegetables.
- Remember that the next time you let your toddler play in the garden, or the next time you juice a carrot without scrubbing it first.
- In another bowl, zest and juice the lemons and limes, then fold through the cream.
- If this sounds too boring you can spice it up by juicing, eating raw, poaching or baking the food.
- It can juice fruit and vegetables as well as other leafy greens with the greatest of ease.
- My mother had often sprinkled the multifaceted, ruby-like pomegranate seeds on fruit salads at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I had never considered juicing the fruit.
- If people don't like eating vegetables, they suggest juicing them.
- Since fruits and vegetables are juiced raw, the enzymes are still viable when you drink the juice.
- I've started eating mince pies, and can't seem to stop, but I'm still juicing the veggies, so hopefully it will balance itself out.
- Eating the fruit or extracting the seeds and juicing them is time-consuming and messy (the juice stains).
- I watched him this morning juicing a grapefruit, guava, blood orange, mango, plums, and grapes and pouring the elixir into a giant glass pitcher.
- When an orange is juiced, fibre and other health-giving elements are left behind.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.