In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(meeting point)masculine crucemasculine empalmemasculine entronque Mexicofeminine confluenciaturn left at the junction of Route 21 and Route 30 — doble a la izquierda en el cruce / la intersección de las rutas 21 y 30
- leave the motorway at junction 13 — deje la autopista en la salida número 13
- Traffic lights operate at the junction with the main road, a busy dual carriageway.
- The cells were surrounded by a basal lamina and joined by primitive junctions.
- Longer buses are also far more likely to stop while blocking road junctions or pedestrian crossings, especially in heavy traffic.
- It is observed in a variety of systems, from invertebrate neuromuscular junctions to neocortical synapses.
- Police had to seal off the junction for more than two hours, forcing motorists to find alternative routes.
- This gets a little bigger fairly quickly, and passes a couple of uninviting junctions, before entering a wide bedding passage with a stream flowing through it.
- Paula and Daniel were left trapped between the car and traffic lights at the junction of Liverpool Road and Green Lane.
- These signs were fixed at pedestrian crossings, junctions in residential roads and even on posts in the woodland idyll of Ham Common.
- A coordinated assault on five or more junctions in the 10,500 miles of pipeline that connect the five main Saudi oilfields could cripple the industry.
- People keep saying it's this awkward union, but it's a great junction of two fashion superstars.
- This structure is consistent with the mechanism of the particle formation, where growing insulin fibrils encounter other fibrils and link together to form junctions.
- These sensitive areas are known as acupoints, and are thought to link to nerve junctions in other parts of the body.
- Molecular analysis of repair junctions indicates efficient microhomology-mediated end joining.
- Witnesses said that when the car hit Mr Kornelis, he was thrown 20 feet into the air and across the junction on to Railway Road.
- Work is already underway on the site of the former Railway pub at the junction of Leigh Road and Lovers Lane at Howe Bridge.
- Adjacent cells are joined together at the junction of oppositely oriented elevations which have a small spine at the tip.
- Now funds have been obtained to meet the long-standing demand for a roundabout at the junction of Mill Green Road.
- The places where the emitter joins the base and the base joins the collector are called junctions.
- We went to the post office, crossing at the pedestrian crossing at the junction with Blagdon Road and returned as soon as she had finished to find a warden putting a notice on the car.
- The best known of these are atrial receptors, which are nerves ending mainly at the junctions of the great veins with the atria.
- A further measure to enhance road safety in this area would be to extend the double yellow lines from the junction of Manor Road down to High Fold Lane.
- But it will be copied again and again, at junctions in the wider Internet, and so will e-mails sent by individuals.
- Some are the meeting of meridian pathways while others are junctions with an internal pathway of the meridian.
- As the cavalcade moved along the Inner Ring Road towards the junction, Arun took a right turn around the traffic island.
- The crash happened at 12.28 pm, close to the slip road of the junction on the southbound carriageway.
- It is rare to find a simple right lymphatic duct that enters directly into the junction of the internal jugular and subclavian veins.
- Another form of local communication is provided by gap junctions, which directly link the cytoplasm of certain cells and so allow the exchange both of ions and of small molecules between them.
- I stopped at the junction that joined the studio with the main road.
- To ensure public safety, access to the event will be via Union Street only and numbers will be restricted at the entry point at the junction of Union Street and Market Street.
- Even sponges show this capacity in the transient development of septate junctions between certain cells.
- Bikes have their own lanes, traffic lights at junctions and dedicated road signs.
- The man says he drove them to Carlow, dropping mother and son at the traffic lights at the junction of Kilkenny Road and Burrin Street.
- Acceptance gaps can be created either by headways in a traffic stream or by traffic control devices such as traffic signals at junctions and pelican crossings.
- Immediately beyond is a junction with another stream joining from the left from Wisdom Tooth Passage.
- Some surgeons prefer to have silk ties securing any junctions where fill tubes connect to prevent unintended separation during the procedure, but we have found that unnecessary.
- He found that learning occurs at the synapse (the junction between two neurons) by several means.
- The woman and her son were caught between the car and the traffic lights at the pelican crossing at the junction of the two roads.
- The place was at the junction of two roads, one of which was parallel to a railroad line.
- Areas near the new traffic-signalled junctions, a service road and a new pond are also being landscaped.
- Strangely, the new system has not really reduced the number of traffic signals and junctions on either roads.
- These junctions can be made atomically sharp and defect free, allowing for the production of high performance electronics integrated within each single nanostructure.
- This quantum mechanical tunneling process is an important mechanism for thin barriers such as those in metal-semiconductor junctions on highly-doped semiconductors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.