In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Lawjurado masculinetrial by jury — juicio ante jurado masculine
- to serve/sit on a jury — ser miembro de un jurado
- the jury is out — el jurado está deliberando
- before noun to do jury duty or (British also) service — ser miembro de un jurado
- The judge accepted that submission and directed the jury to return a verdict of not guilty.
- A Chelmsford Crown Court jury on Thursday returned a unanimous not guilty verdict.
- An inquest jury at Lincoln Crown Court recorded a verdict yesterday that the tragedy had been an accident.
- The coroner accordingly left that verdict to the jury, and the jury returned a unanimous verdict of unlawful killing.
- On this basis, the jury were quite entitled to return a verdict of guilty on count 2.
- An inquest jury returned a verdict that he had been unlawfully killed.
- For two days, he waited in the corridor and rooms of Teesside Crown Court while the jury considered its verdicts.
- After an hour and a half of deliberation, the jury returned the guilty verdict yesterday.
- Yesterday at Salisbury Crown Court the jury returned a majority verdict of guilty.
- The court has not sought to doubt the factual basis upon which the jury reached its verdicts.
- Last week, at the subsequent inquest, the jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing.
- She was formally discharged by the court following the jury's unanimous verdict.
- In May 1999 the Applicant was acquitted by the unanimous verdict of a jury at Wood Green Crown Court.
- The jury returned guilty verdicts on two counts of indecent assault and one of common assault.
- Any previous conviction or driving ban could then be revealed to the court after the jury returned a verdict.
- One of the things that amazed me was after 60 plus days of hearing evidence, the jury returned the verdict in six hours.
- One can simply say the jury returned a verdict that there was a business of trafficking in drugs.
- Put in simplest terms, the jury returned majority verdicts before the judge allowed them to do so.
- Is there any evidence upon which a jury properly instructed could return a verdict of guilty?
- After deliberating for just over two and a half hours the jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty of manslaughter.
2(for contest)jurado masculine
- The jury judges the promotional campaign on strategy, creativity, and effectiveness.
- Those of us who have played in juries or competitions open ourselves up to evaluation and, in fact, desire the insight these experiences provide.
- Every three years, a jury selects a person considered to be the most promising director in Ontario.
- The jury has selected the film under the non-feature film category, say the producers.
- Over 500 entries were screened by four juries consisting of three judges each, which speaks to the growing strength of the film and television industry in Alberta.
- The contest will be judged by a partial jury for entertainment value.
- All juries will be selected online from new system developed by Yahoo.
- Special prizes will be granted to winners selected by an expert jury in early December.
- These are books that juries have selected as finalists for the ultimate Pulitzer Prize.
- At the end of the summer school a jury selects the most successful team.
- In addition to his work at the Museum of Modern Art, Barr served on the advisory boards of other museums and the juries of art competitions.
- The jury selected by the organisers may include members from within their ranks.
- From now on street musicians will be judged by a jury at an annual festival, and the melodically challenged will be banished.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.