In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sunsets are followed by immediate sunrises and the kaleidoscopic effects on the horizon, with the colours ranging from pale pink to fiery orange, are a photographer's delight.
- Multi-coloured twisted frills of crepe paper were suspended from wall to wall covering the ceiling like a kaleidoscopic canopy.
- Cascading waterfalls, rapid rivers, serene lakes, craggy mountains, secret caves, bountiful seas, kaleidoscopic coral reefs and scenic islands all offer something for each individual.
- As the engine revved, the traditional fireworks were unleashed and the skies exploded, kaleidoscopic.
- A kaleidoscopic wall behind the sushi bar draws people into this Japanese restaurant.
- The vibrant palette of beach paraphernalia, stripes on windbreaks and seaside rock translates with ease into kaleidoscopic designs in fused glass.
- I tried out one of the goggles and was treated to a rather nice kaleidoscopic vision of brightly-coloured cubes slowly rotating around.
- It's all so dazzling as to be kaleidoscopic in its beauty and swirling confusion.
- Look closer: the bow is encrusted with millions of kaleidoscopic jewel anemones.
- Grouper, anemonefish and small morays jostled for position in this kaleidoscopic garden of coral, with some brightly coloured nudibranchs and small shrimp adding to the mix.
- A child's revolving lantern projects kaleidoscopic images of brightly colored animals on a bedroom wall.
- Often in a palette of blue, red, black and white, these kaleidoscopic paintings have been related to the intricate stained-glass windows of Rhenish cathedrals.
- Visitors surrender to the kaleidoscopic vision by lying on large fabric-covered mattresses, like lily pads or the rubbery leaves of a tropical plant, which cover the church floor.
- In places it is punctured by bollards and peeled back to form benches, revealing glazed voids packed with multi-coloured fluorescent tubes that scintillate seductively with kaleidoscopic light.
- The feeling is a little like having just walked into a kaleidoscopic abstract painting.
- But the couple could see the potential behind the floral wallpapers, printed borders and kaleidoscopic carpets.
- From our seats in the bleachers, we stared west, hoping that another kaleidoscopic Florida sunset would add symbolic luster to this most American rite of passage.
- The stage lights, which had started out in orange and purple, switched to green and purple, then pink and red, before becoming kaleidoscopic in effect.
- The camera seems to move in and out of the body in bursts of kaleidoscopic color.
- Within changing environments created by dramatic lighting effects, kaleidoscopic clusters appeared and dissolved.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.