- To select for the plasmids (donors or transconjugants), we used kanamycin and chloramphenicol.
- Streptomycin, kanamycin, or amikacin also can be used as the fourth drug, when necessary.
- Doses of streptomycin, kanamycin, amikacin, and capreomycin must be adjusted in patients with renal failure because the kidneys excrete essentially all of these drugs.
- Amikacin and kanamycin may cause deafness, but they cause less vestibular dysfunction than SM.
- Harvested bacterial colonies containing mutant plasmids were grown in LB medium in the presence of ampicillin and kanamycin to maintain the selective pressure on the mutants.