In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To select for the plasmids (donors or transconjugants), we used kanamycin and chloramphenicol.
- Streptomycin, kanamycin, or amikacin also can be used as the fourth drug, when necessary.
- Doses of streptomycin, kanamycin, amikacin, and capreomycin must be adjusted in patients with renal failure because the kidneys excrete essentially all of these drugs.
- Amikacin and kanamycin may cause deafness, but they cause less vestibular dysfunction than SM.
- Harvested bacterial colonies containing mutant plasmids were grown in LB medium in the presence of ampicillin and kanamycin to maintain the selective pressure on the mutants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.