In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The next highest categories were personal watercraft, cabin cruisers, canoes, rowboats and kayaks.
- A group of hippos who were wallowing in the water the far side of the river stuck their heads up to watch us as we unloaded our kayaks and canoes.
- Entrants wearing fancy dress took to the water in kayaks, dinghies, canoes and other water crafts to raise cash for charity.
- Additionally, there are 450 kayaks and canoes, with 3,000 amateurs and 1,050 athletes, plus 120 rowing boats registered.
- Lakeside lodges and resorts make kayaks or canoes available to guests, or you can bring your own.
- These sculptural works are made of superimposed bentwood floatable frames: canoes, surfboards, kayaks, and rowboats fully equipped with oars.
- They use night-vision binoculars, small boats, canoes and kayaks but see education of the younger generation as an important weapon.
- You can also rent a kayak or canoe and explore the estuary; bring binoculars to spot wading egrets and resident ducks.
- She paddles to work once a week, storing her clothes in the kayak's watertight compartment.
- There's canoes, kayaks and some rowing shells.
- The house comes with a 19-foot runabout, a canoe, kayaks, sailboards, and snorkeling and fishing gear.
- The fatality rate for canoes and kayaks is almost twice that of those on personal watercraft and almost four times higher than open motor boats.
- These components involve practice in self-rescue skills and assisting others using canoes, kayaks, sailboats, and/or rowboats in a calm water environment.
- They found that there were places where people were camping along the shores, and there were numerous sailboats, kayaks, and canoes out in the aquamarine water.
- More energetic sightseers can hire kayaks or canoes.
- Various paddle-powered rigs with exceptional mobility include small flat-bottomed aluminum boats, canoes and kayaks.
- Humans, too, are taking advantage of the increased recreational activities afforded by removal of the dam, with many river enthusiasts running the river in canoes and kayaks.
- More fatalities occurred on canoes and kayaks than on personal watercraft, but the highest number occurred on open motorboats.
- Our fleet consisted of a Picayune delivery truck, two cars, bicycles, a kayak and a canoe.
- Instruction is given in the use of kayaks, two-seater canoes and motor boats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.