In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plato de arroz con pescado y huevos duros
- Some of the wartime recipes you will find are rhubarb bread pudding, nettle champ, Irish stew with venison, kedgeree, hardtime omelette and mock plum pudding.
- Traditionally, kedgeree is a little bit soupy, but tastes vary, and you might like it drier or wetter.
- There was also a mouth-watering kedgeree with smoked salmon and plenty of tea and coffee to wash it all down.
- Could I salvage some form of kedgeree with tinned tuna?
- For a main course I ordered a kedgeree of salmon and haddock with curry butter.
- Apart from kedgeree and rice pudding, rice doesn't feature much in the everyday Scottish diet, hence the problem we have cooking it.
- The book aims to to initiate the French into the delights of kedgeree, welsh rarebit, sticky toffee and Christmas puddings.
- I like smoked fish in general, I'm found of rice dishes, and my mum used to make kedgeree, so it's a done deal, really.
- The menu is a fusion of modern Scottish, European and Asian influences: kedgeree risotto comes with a mild curry crème fraîche, while the grilled salmon arrives with spinach and pesto noodles and roast cherry tomatoes.
- This recipe is a bit like a kedgeree cake, I suppose - with high-protein smoked fish, medium-fat Parmesan cheese and eggs, plus spinach, rich in vitamins and folic acid.
- Two that caught my eye were salmon loaf with salad and smoked salmon with kedgeree.
- In the hospitality at Chelsea last week, a Russian was serving kedgeree.
- Instead of dumbing himself down, Hix wants to smarten us up, giving us the confidence to cook something more ambitious than kedgeree or fish pie (although recipes for both are included).
- Sarah had kedgeree which looked gorgeous but I didn't taste it, and Peter had pot-roasted lamb with swede.
- This weekend I plan to cook kedgeree for the first time. I'll let you know how it pans out.
- There has been spluttering and coughing over the kedgeree and alfalfa crêpes at the Edinburgh Festival this year.
- They both smoke well, too, as my mum's fine kedgerees have so eloquently testified down the decades.
- Breakfasts are an Edwardian affair, with kedgeree, poached eggs and kippers, in Mrs Carnegie's dining-room, which still sports its original silk wallpaper.
- The breakfast ranges from a full fry-up through salmon fishcakes, vanilla waffles, scrambled egg and smoked salmon, Craster kippers with poached eggs, home-made kedgeree and fruit compote with creamed yoghurt.
- Some dishes are British, like the delicious kedgeree (a Scottish dish of rice and fish)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.