In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine guardamasculine cuidadorfeminine cuidadoramasculine conservador Britishfeminine conservadora Britishgamekeeper — guarda
- In addition to providing objects and hiding food, some of the enrichment activities also help the keepers care for the animals.
- After the war he was appointed keeper of archaeology in the National Museum of Wales but in 1926 he left Wales to become Director of the London Museum.
- The keeper of the William Morris Gallery, Norah Gillow, took a more positive view.
- His most controversial policy is encouraging the keepers to develop close relationships with the animals.
- She began to lose her sight five years ago, causing her to become timid, irritable and even attack animal keepers on occasion.
- The new keeper of the mineral collection at the university, Dr. Bill Minarik, took attendees to view the collection.
- Mony was born nine years ago at the zoo, and over time has become a favourite with the animal keepers.
- The keeper of the Yorkshire Museum, who examined the skull, said that it did not belong to a fully grown person and might be medieval.
- For Lydia, the exhibition marks her first as assistant keeper at the museum, where her grandparents were once volunteer guides.
- The keepers are warning people not to play with the animal if they see it, as it has sharp canine teeth that can inflict serious bites.
- The coin had been earlier reported to Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, where it is being researched by keeper of coins Dr Mark Blackburn.
- Scientists and keepers try to help animals breed naturally.
- Christian Rumelin is assistant keeper of prints and twentieth-century art at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
- It was only with great difficulty that the animal keepers were able to herd Rita away to safety on such occasions.
- I watched as people fed sweet popcorn to the animals as their supposed keepers stood idly watching.
- A team headed by dinosaur expert and the museum's keeper of geology Dr Phil Manning, have prepared, conserved and interpreted the find.
- Dr Newman taught at the University of Bangor, North Wales, and then returned to York to become keeper of military history at the Castle Museum.
- Some of these plastic items are detected and removed by the animal keepers.
- The keeper of environmental records at the museum, Colin Howes, said the ring ouzel was the first specimen they had ever received from the South Yorkshire area.
- If the animal keepers find someone teasing the animals, they warn him or ask him to leave, they claim.
- When individual animals seem unable to reproduce, keepers can call in physiologists to diagnose possible biological problems.
- Some argue that the zoo staff, especially the animal keepers should be trained in the art of ‘presenting’ the animal to the visitors in an engaging manner.
- The keeper withdraws, prompting the animal to slowly return to a corner of the enclosure.
- The animal has been described as looking like a pipe cleaner by his keepers and joins animals including deer and reindeer.
- The museum's keeper of environmental records Colin Howes was delighted to discover that it was the first recorded sighting of them in Doncaster.
- This makes them feel quite comfortable and they love walking up and down the enclosure, says one of the animal keepers, Mari.
- The keeper of special collections there, Richard Ovenden, has been striving mightily to raise the necessary millions.
- Daniel Smith, keeper of social history at the museum, tells me they recently received a large collection of old photographs featuring Poppy's work.
- The pets' corner was left in the temporary care of another council employee while the keeper took a break between June 20 and July 13.
- Poor funding and underpaid animal keepers make the conditions for some of the animals almost unbearable.
- Right now, the animal keepers from the circus stay at the zoo, attending to all the needs of the chimps.
- The museum's keeper of natural sciences, Stephen Hewitt, said he was ‘delighted’ to be given the collection.
- Chris Barclay, keeper of archaeology and curator of the museum, joined Hull Council only a few weeks ago but has already been awed by the scale of the development.
- Furthermore, animal keepers have been ordered to add herbal medicines to their animals food and water to build up their resistance to the heat.
- Wheeler is now the keeper and head of entomology at the Natural History Museum in London.
- According to animal keepers, hippos by nature require their ‘corner of the pool’ in the enclosure.
- But Craig Barclay, keeper of numismatics at the Yorkshire Museum, said he was not surprised to see such a coin coming up for auction.
- The collection's keeper, Selena Skipwith, is buoyant in her determination that this should be only the start.
- When he reached the penalty area he drove the ball low to the home keeper's left only to be thwarted by an excellent save.
- He quickly became a legend with his dazzling skills that left defenders flat footed and an eye for goal that made keepers wince.
- But they do a lot of work in training with me and we emphasise hitting the target and making the keeper work.
- It is time a new young keeper was selected and given a fair run at the top.
- Quick feet, lightening turns and shots taken early often mean that a half-chance is often nestling in the goal before the keeper has a sniff of it.
- I just caught the ball perfectly and it somehow bounced over the keeper.
- Well as a wicket-keeper, did you often feel a greater affinity, or that you had more in common with the other keepers in opposition teams than with your own team-mates?
- The ball struck the underside of the bar and bounced clear with the keeper rooted to the spot.
- It would have been a very good save but it was one you'd expect an international keeper to make.
- It was the Blackburn keeper's second penalty save of the competition.
- He rarely misses the target, which is worrying for all keepers.
- To have a good team you have to have a good keeper and our goalkeeper is very good.
- With two excellent keepers and two quick strikers on offer it will be a case of who can make the most telling breakthrough?
- It's always nice when a fellow goalkeeper wins something because us keepers normally get overlooked in favour of strikers.
- He has proved himself to be a top keeper since he has been in English football.
- Sixty seconds later, he swerved away from the keeper's clawing gloves to stroke home his 21st goal of an astounding debut campaign.
- The keeper and a defender went for the same ball and then left it for each other, allowing the speculative shot to hit the empty net.
- The Italian has been one of the best keepers in English football for quite a while now and it would be cruel if he were to spend the majority of this season on the bench.
- With an absent goalkeeper Bex Holt and Emma Rutherford both did well as substitute keepers and were named players of the match for bravely taking up the challenge.
- Two half chances at either end did not tax the defences or keepers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.