In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In aquatic habitats, bryozoans may be found on all types of hard substrates: sand grains, rocks, shells, wood, and blades of kelps and other algae may be heavily encrusted with bryozoans.
- The sea bed was covered by fronds of kelp which swayed to and fro in the water, grabbing our legs as we began our course around the pier's outer edge.
- You may also want to eat iodine-rich foods like kelp, nori, and other seaweeds as often as once a day, and fish and shellfish two or three times a week.
- Unlike kelp and other seaweed, sea grasses are descended from terrestrial plants, which adapted to shallow non-rocky coastal waters.
- Apart from algae, perhaps we can also bioengineer seaweed or kelp for the same purpose in aquatic fuel farms.
- Giant kelp and seaweed are common, especially in intertidal zones.
- Flocks of terns and cormorants fished offshore, while fronds of kelp writhed in the surf like the flailing arms of sea monsters.
- As it swims over different areas of seabed, a cuttlefish can change colour almost instantly to match its surroundings, taking on a dark brown shade over kelp and turning almost white over sand.
- Many large kelps use gas-filled floatation bladders to keep their large blades near the surface, and therefore in the light.
- Octopus bimaculatus lives in holes, under rocks and among kelps and is found in the Pacific waters around California and Mexico.
- Other commonly used seaweeds are wakame and kombu, which are types of kelp.
- The elimination of sea otters for their pelts allowed explosions of sea urchins that ate all the kelps.
- By devising experiments with and without herbivores, they were able to observe the maximum effect of herbivores on small kelps.
- Below us the seabed was strewn with small boulders and overgrown with beds of brown kelp.
- These delicate fish are poor swimmers, but use their leaf-like appendages to help them blend into the algae and kelp surrounding them for protection from predators.
- And our southern waters are incredibly diverse with beautiful sea dragons and hand fish and over a 1000 different varieties of colourful kelp and algae and amazing fish.
- In terms of biomass, organic carbon fixation, space occupation, and biogenic habitat, kelps are the dominant reef-inhabiting organisms in cool seas, especially in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Two wholesome brown kelps that are popular among Japanese diners are kombu and arame.
- Other chromists, such as the large kelps, are attached to the bottom of the ocean, but are so incredibly large that they may reach to the surface, and form kelp forests in the ocean.
- The valued molluscs are fed hand-harvested kelp and some compounded seaweed diet, and are graded at regular intervals over the farming period of 36 to 40 months.
tipo de alga
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.