In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Cans, plastic, glass and textiles will go in the boxes, which will be picked up by a van and manually sorted at the kerbside.
- The kerbside on the south bound section of the carriageway between Linden Road and Union Street is littered with old bangers.
- By 2015 as much as 80% of Scotland's waste could be collected from kerbsides for recycling, compared to less than 2% now.
- This would allow the newspapers and glass collected from the kerbside to be sorted and packaged into a form the waste industry can easily handle.
- The bins have to be put out for collection on alternate weeks, while other recyclable waste is also collected at the kerbside.
- When I left the girls they disappointingly still seemed to be getting on well, happily sitting on the kerbside by the gutter.
- The bins have been left for weeks on the kerbside, simply adding to Bradford's reputation as a slum city.
- The new footpaths and some work on removing overhead cables was helpful and the adjudicators took note of the work in progress on the kerbsides.
- Lead paint is still used for painting the yellow lines along the kerbside.
- I have also written to the council asking if anything can be done to protect my property, as the land between my wall and the kerbside belongs to the highways department.
- Money will pay for a co-ordinator to run a scheme in 11 selected schools teaching road safety skills at the kerbside as well as in the classroom.
- Improvement plans for Woodhall Road include two pedestrian refuges at the village end, warning signs and changes to kerbsides.
- One correspondent said that the black boxes provided for recycling at the kerbside are too small.
- Paper, cans, bottles, green rubbish and plastic are all collected at the kerbside by an incredibly hi-tech lorry.
- The women squatting with their merchandise along the kerbsides become more numerous, the number of hawkers and loiterers crowding the pavements grows larger with every passing step.
- The city aims to double the amount of rubbish people take to recycling bins and increase the amount collected from the kerbside by nearly 10 times.
- All recycling will be collected from the kerbside, so there will be no excuse whatsoever for people who claim that recycling is too much effort.
- Andrew set the fundraising ball rolling a year ago, seeking to provide proper facilities for youngsters with nowhere to skateboard except public paths and kerbsides.
- We are able to take more items at the recycling centres, such as cardboard, and we are hoping to expand the amount of items we are able to collect from the kerbside in the future.
- Motorists will be banned from picking up passengers at the kerbside until the work is completed in the autumn.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.