In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the past 20 years, the kibbutzes have lost one-fourth of their population and members today number 120,000, a small fraction of Israel's 7 million people.
- Some went to live on collective farms, the kibbutzim, which were among Israel's most imaginative innovations.
- Today, the Golan Winery is a company owned by four kibbutzes and four moshavs.
- The progression of kibbutzes from socialist ideals to capitalism tells an interesting tale of structural change.
- After graduating he cofounded a kibbutz, working with others to transform deserts into green pastures and orchards.
- All I know is that when I was 17 I went to Israel to work on a kibbutz for seven months, and when I came back I was half a foot taller, and my voice had broken.
- In the epilogue, one example of socialism that ‘worked’ is held up in the kibbutzim of Israel.
- Our first night is spent in one of the oldest kibbutzim in Israel, En Gev in the Golan Heights.
- Moreover, she says, the way decisions are made today about building in kibbutzim does not permit a real participation of the potential occupants.
- As the kibbutzim grew prosperous, the idealism faded.
- Other studies of kibbutzim have found helping behavior between organizations that share ideologies.
- Explore the workings of democracy in a vibrant community; get to know the kibbutz through its leaders; learn about the history of the kibbutz movement.
- In most cases, the sites of destroyed villages are not submerged under housing projects, but have been covered over by national forests or have been handed over to economically stagnant kibbutzim.
- The pioneering moshavs and kibbutzes first planted vines in 1976, and initially the grapes were sold to the large coastal cooperatives.
- She travelled to France and went on to live on a kibbutz in Israel where she experienced the realities of living in a socialist constructed life.
- I grew up on a border kibbutz in Israel, on the front line of the 1967 war.
- Paths lined with eucalyptus planted by the early Jewish settlers lead to thriving kibbutzim, to guesthouses and fine restaurants.
- And so I arrived in Israel, still 19, to work on a kibbutz, and found myself among people who had no means of checking anything I said.
- She went to Israel for seven months to work on a kibbutz, came home and trained as a masseur.
- On the kibbutz they farmed avocado, bananas and dates, and ran a dairy farm and a small industrial tools factory.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.