In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The local kiddies had a visit to a circus that set up in St. Brigid's Hall on Friday evening last.
- Somewhere tonight, a sick kiddy will be smiling.
- So, a lesson for all of you kiddies out there: watch what you write if you're planning to author a book in the future.
- I felt this was a good time for him to go and spend time with his wife and his kiddy.
- I think he gave very fair reasons and I fully understand them, I've got two young kiddies myself.
- The circus pleased all the kiddies as well as parents for two days.
- Politicians love schools because the kiddies are so photogenic and don't ask awkward questions.
- Our house is next to a school - so all the little kiddies have to be negotiated as well.
- While it was a great sporting and social event, it was also a fun family day out with lots of entertainment for the kiddies.
- Parents love taking kiddies to see him and get a present.
- With so many single mums and the cost of daycare so high, it is a welcome relief to send the kiddies off to pre-school.
- This is a great way to entertain the kiddies over the school holidays.
- Gather round kiddies, old Grampa Shakey has a story to sing, a story about a town called Greendale.
- We strolled around watching kiddies throw tantrums and people screaming on roller coasters.
- Gather the kiddies around and force them into ridiculous poses for holiday card pictures.
- Now, I hear it every day, if not on TV, then from kiddies in the street.
- That first afternoon, at home with the cheesecake, these three kiddies appeared with flowers and ice cream.
- The cleverer little kiddies figured out which keys worked the lock.
- Old people too and mothers with babies and kiddies out shopping.
- An open-air barbecue, disco, live band and bouncing castle for kiddies was laid on for the guests.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.