In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of person) asesinato masculine(of animal) matanza feminineto avoid the killing of civilians — para evitar que murieran civiles
- the barbaric killing of innocent people — la sanguinaria matanza de inocentes
- to make a killing — forrarse
- Between them they have amassed hundreds of years in sentences and committed numerous killings.
- Officers at the scene said it was one of the most brutal killings they had ever seen.
- But they are quick to seize on other killings to try to justify the occupation.
- There are documented cases of rape as a tool of war, mass killings and kidnappings.
- He is also writing about his memories of the deaths, some of which were notorious killings.
- Everyone assumes that killings are political, and no serious investigations take place.
- From now on things worsened with killings and bombings almost a regular occurrence.
- It's widely acknowledged that the killings are the result of a drug related turf war.
- There are equally new accounts on how the machetes and axes used in the killings were imported.
- Vernon ends up taking the rap for the killings and is sentenced to death.
- Scotland Yard do not connect the present murders with those earlier killings.
- Extra police and troops were at once moved into the area but it is feared that more killings are likely.
- Murder, including serial killings, fall under the jurisdiction of state authorities.
- I came to know of the killings of my parents only about a year after their death.
- An appeal for information on the killings is reported to have yielded no response.
- This is the way things are done here and if this money will stop any sort of revenge killings then it is worth it.
- It is a poison which has only ever been used for one-on-one killings and attempted killings.
- The brutal killings, many of which were committed using knives and swords, had begun.
- The village of Murma is in shock over the brutal killings of two young boys by their teacher.
- A few public men, carried away by the excitement, attempted to justify these killings.
1(exhausting)(schedule/pace) matador informal
- DH is the supervisor of the maintenance area and is having problems keeping people, and the killing schedule is a big part of the reason.
- Sounds like a killing timetable dear - try to take care of yourself in all this!
- Fatigue is the killing weight of expectation; and that burden is another good reason for fearing the worst.
2British dated(funny)chistosísimograciosísimopara morirse de (la) risa informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.