In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1familiares masculineparientes masculine
2to be no kin to sb — no estar emparentado con algn
- Family and kin are the primary focus of an individual's loyalties and identity.
- Most families are in practice extended, with elderly or other kin in the household and other relatives nearby.
- All of the mother and fathers' relatives are considered kin.
- Neoreligious communities have emerged in which people are guided to the other side to communicate with deceased family members and kin.
- As is the case with many blended or separated families, children don't always understand the relationships between kin.
- Traveling together with family, friends, and extended kin these mobile groups bond and build community life.
- A pervasive myth is that the extended family does not exist and that society is composed of nuclear families cut off from extended kin.
- Nuclear families are the main kin group, with relatives involved as kin in the extended family.
- Extended family and kin are an important part of the social structure of the republic.
- From the moment of birth an infant is showered with attention and care by family members and extended kin.
- Marriage always takes place then (in theory) between people who are already kin but only kin of a specified kind.
- Most households are not nuclear families, but contain other kin as well.
- There is kin - immediate and extended family - and close behind that, neighbors, members of my social group, people to whom I can turn in need, people like me.
- The family also teaches that kin are the appropriate source of friendly companionship.
- At every level of society a person looks to family and kin for both social identity and succor.
- A powerful deterrent to deviant behavior is that such behavior brings shame to one's family and kin and is considered sinful.
- That is, men interact with their wives' kin as individuals rather than as representatives of their corporate Houses.
- In gathering information about who lives in the home and who fulfills family roles, it is important to assess for the involvement of extended family and non-blood kin.
- This often makes mutual aid and small business formation a whole family strategy, encompassing extended and mythical kin with geographical or social ties in the sending country.
- Relatives seek out prospective mates for their kin from desirable families.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.