In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Despite its essential inequities and hidebound nostalgia, Old England was a gentle place of tolerance, common sense, and universal kindliness.
- One reason they gave for moving away from Britain was the erosion of kindliness and good manners in the old country.
- Her friendliness, humble kindliness and her generous disposition won her the hearts of many people who came to know and love her personality.
- Her common sense and kindliness, combined with an inexorable flow of shrewd jokes, make it easy to see why she has become more than just another author.
- And if there is no kindliness nor understanding between them, what will my boy's fate be?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.