1gaviota tridáctida feminine
- Bempton is the largest seabird colony in England and is home to a breathtaking array of gannets, guillemots, razorbills, kittiwakes, fulmars - and puffins.
- The UK government uses kittiwakes as an indicator of the state of the sea.
- Coastal and seabird numbers have remained stable, with big increases in guillemot numbers balancing the decline in kittiwakes.
- Wardens are now pinning their hopes on the next few months, when the kittiwake's chicks will hatch, and say the recent good weather may make for a ‘bumper crop’.
- The northwards path along a rocky coastline takes you to the castle, a romantic ruin where kittiwakes, cormorants and fulmars nest on whinstone cliffs.