In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sock) largo(skirt) hasta la rodillaknee-length boots — botas altas / de caña alta feminine
- Rob had waded past the knee-length grass and into the bushes.
- She was last seen in jeans and a knee-length maroon leather coat.
- The girl has blonde hair and was wearing high-heeled boots, a knee-length beige skirt and a black top.
- This season, a floaty chiffon knee-length skirt paired with a Fair Isle sweater or a tweedy jacket will look extremely hip.
- She speaks softly but intently, cutting a striking figure in black knee-length boots with her prominent features framed by jet black hair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.