In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuchillo masculine(penknife) navaja feminine(penknife) cortaplumas feminine(dagger) puñal masculinehe can't use a knife and fork — no sabe usar los cubiertos
- the Night of the Long Knives — la Noche de los Cuchillos Largos
- knife fight — pelea con navajas (or cuchillos etc.)
- My guts still feel like the surgeon's knife is still in them.
- The murder weapon, a knife, was discovered on the passenger seat of his car earlier this afternoon.
- Take your sharpest serrated bread knife and cut the stick in half across the middle.
- Both occupants, believed to be armed with a gun and a small knife or machete, escaped on foot and were still at large last night.
- Research by restaurant chain Brewsters claims that a quarter of children under 11 eat with their fingers instead of using a knife or fork.
- As well as the heroin they found cannabis, cash and a number of weapons, including firearms, a sword and knives.
- Solomon put his knife and fork neatly by the side of his plate and sipped a glass of Chablis.
- The club has also introduced hand-held metal detectors for knives and other weapons.
- Peel the grapefruit and, using a serrated knife, cut out individual sections so that no white pith remains.
- Toy or replica guns, cutlery, razor blades and knives of any length are forbidden.
- He had slit his wrist with a boy scout knife he had kept since childhood.
- Transfer the pizza to a firm surface and cut into slices, using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife.
- Jake was carrying a sharp kitchen knife from his grandmother's house.
- When he returned, he did indeed have a butcher's knife in his hand.
- The homeowner and one suspect were treated for knife wounds at Lions Gate Hospital.
- He studied the padded envelope for a moment, before pulling out a pocket knife and cutting into one of the ends.
- The fear of sharp instruments continued when I got to the restaurant - all knifes and forks are made from wood or plastic.
- Using a sharp knife, peel, core and slice the apples into thin wedges.
- However, other weapons, including knives and meat cleavers, were discovered at the scene.
- He received a number of stitches for knife wounds to his chest and arm.
- Almost every day evidence emerges in the courts of the lethal culture of knives and other sharp weapons that is infecting Britain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.