In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(title)título de sir masculineto receive a knighthood — recibir el título de sir
- Unlike the hereditary peerages of old, knighthoods are not bestowed according to birth or social status.
- Tight new spending limits are set to be imposed on Britain's political parties to stop them going cap in hand to donors angling for peerages, knighthoods and other favours.
- The Welsh rugby fan said he was delighted to meet Sir Clive Woodward, who was at the palace to receive his knighthood.
- In 1999 his charity work gained him a knighthood to add to his life peerage from Margaret Thatcher.
- Much loved comedy legend Eric Sykes has scooped a top honour - but missed out on his knighthood.
- The screen veteran is the biggest name on the Queen's birthday honours list, receiving a knighthood.
- The two men received knighthoods at about the same time.
- At the age of 69, Scotland's most famous son has finally received a knighthood.
- Honours, such as knighthoods, peerages, and other decorations, are awarded on his recommendation.
- Professor Ian Kershaw received a knighthood for his services to history.
- In February 2002 he received a knighthood from the Queen for his services to local government.
- Prince's Trust chief executive Tom Shebbeare received a knighthood in the Queen's personal honours list.
- This gave rise to doubts about whether he was fit to receive a knighthood.
- And yet he remained the only major explorer of the age never to receive a knighthood.
- When his knighthood was announced in the birthday honours list in June, he paid tribute to the people who work for the charities he has supported.
- Honorary knighthoods for foreign citizens are occasionally presented at investitures at the Palace.
- Nowadays, major disclosures of the soon-to-be recipients of knighthoods and peerages are commonplace.
- Sir Richard Thompson received a knighthood for his post as head of the Queen's medical household and physician to the Queen.
- Actress Dorothy Tutin was also invested as a Dame Commander and actor Michael Caine received a knighthood.
- He has received a knighthood in recognition of his services to education.
2Historyser armado caballero
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.