In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Remember, parallel imports aren't cheap knock-offs from Hong Kong, but usually end-of-line goods imported by a third country.
- He then meets Jean-Michel, a charismatic crook who earns money by selling knock-offs, and the two form an uneasy partnership.
- It is an expensive knock-off, but a knock-off all the same.
- Regardless of its many knock-offs, the success of the Tomb Raider franchise seems to me to be a bit of a fluke.
- So, the fashion industry is rife with knock-offs.
- The arrival of the ‘clones ‘- generic knock-offs of the IBM design - forced prices down.’
- Chinatown has always had illegal vendors who sell knock-offs and kitsch, but in the past year the industry has grown and the vendors are offering more sophisticated counterfeit goods that are in high demand.
- It was the time when many of the urban élite would return from visits to Paris with the latest fashions while the less well-off sported convincing knock-offs.
- This film is more or less responsible for influencing the style of all the cheap knock-offs that have since followed, with more to come.
- I'm not even sure those dolls are Barbies, I think they might be knock-offs from the 99-cent store.
- Once you have identified a work which violates your copyright, what can you do in order to stop the auctions early on and prevent these knock-offs from entering the stream of commerce?
- Entrepreneurs jumped in, and for a while cheaper knock-offs supplied the diminishing demand.
- Rather than struggling to come up with their own original idea, they threw out a gaggle of thinly disguised knock-offs.
- The knowledgeable gun-buying public does not see Smith & Wesson's Value Series guns as cheap knock-offs, but rather as bargains.
- The horror genre had run its course during the '80s, mostly because filmmakers were so quick to cash in on the popularity by releasing inferior sequels and lame knock-offs.
- After decades of trying to compete with cheap knock-offs of the original 1933 design, Anglepoise has decided to appeal to the design cognoscenti by going seriously upmarket.
- A hot topic these days is the flood of extremely poor quality, foreign made knock-offs of custom designs that are littering the discount outlets.
- Don't buy knock-offs - they are rip-offs for everyone concerned - except the guy selling them.
- Not just because I'm a staunch hard sci-fi kind of guy, but most fantasy, to me, consists of poorly written Tolkein knock-offs.
- Along the Corso Buenos Aires near the train station prices are affordable and designer knock-offs abound.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.